Experienced

Default RD range and semi-truck in front?

Is the RD practically useless if you are stuck behind a fully loaded semi-truck on the slow lane and you have to speed on the fast lane to overtake it?

Default Re: RD range and semi-truck in front?

Quote Originally Posted by a529612
    Is the RD practically useless if you are stuck behind a fully loaded semi-truck on the slow lane and you have to speed on the fast lane to overtake it?
    Well, once the semi has cleared your forward field of view then your RD is able to detect everything ahead. The problem is that, while stuck behind the semi, your RD could have easily missed instant-on radar further down the road ahead. So, common sense says to keep your speed very reasonable for the next couple of miles once you pass a semi in front of you. Slowly creeping around the semi in front of you is your safest bet if the semi is already driving at or slightly over the PSL.

Newcomer

Default Re: RD range and semi-truck in front?

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Quote Originally Posted by a529612
    Well, once the semi has cleared your forward field of view then your RD is able to detect everything ahead. The problem is that, while stuck behind the semi, your RD could have easily missed instant-on radar further down the road ahead. So, common sense says to keep your speed very reasonable for the next couple of miles once you pass a semi in front of you. Slowly creeping around the semi in front of you is your safest bet if the semi is already driving at or slightly over the PSL.
    Agreed. Recently, I was behind a semi on a slow, long bend to the right. He was in the left lane doing the PSL while passing a slower car. Once he moved right, I gassed it and found myself face-to-face with a state boy at close to 15 over. :shock: Well, he must have been after the real speed demons 'cause he only glanced at me as I passed him with my foot on the brake.....

Banned

Or pass the truck really, really, realy fast then slow down immediately once you pass him.

Old Timer

Default since

Since I drive truck and a small car, I will tell you it is very possible to pick up radar while behind a truck, just not like when you have an open view though.

Radar Fanatic

Although your front reception won't be that great, your Rear detection
    will increase a great deal.... So, If a cop is coming up from behind, you'll
    get excellent signal because the radar is being bounced off and returned
    by the semi's trailer.

Always look for the positive

Old Timer

Default great

Great point Orbital.