Newcomer

Default Is my Radar Detector good enough for my setup?

I'll soon be installing the Blinder M-20 laser jammer, Veil, and a laser shield to my car, so I should be very well protected from laser. Here's my question:
    I currently have a Whistler pro 3450 remote mount radar detector. I know it isn't the best detector on the market, but it has been great for radar over the last year, and I really like that it's remote mounted. Is the Whistler pro 3450 "good enough" for my setup? I've read that you should also have one of the top 3 radar detectors to go along with a laser jamming system, but why does it matter so much if my detector gets a laser alert if the Blinder is going to be alerting me when I get hit by laser?

Thanks!
    -DaViper

Lead Foot

If you have a Blinder don't worrie about the RADAR Having to detect LASER, but for a GOOD Radar protection maybe you should upgrade , I dont know the performance of the Whistler pro 3450 and how good it is at picking up INSTANT-ON Radar...

if you encounter mostly Constan-ON Trap I saw the Whistler pro 3450 is OK.. other then that maybe it is time for an upgrade (but dont worrie about having your detector detecting LASER)

Radar Fanatic

As far as I know the 3450 is the only remote that can detect POP mode, so it may work pretty well.

Lead Foot

The Whistler will be okay and has some nice perks to it like the very low price, 5 year warranty, and POP detection. RadarRoy has tested its performance here http://www.radarbusters.com/support/product-tests/2.asp and found it to be slightly less than the Big 3. The SR7 and RX75 remote detectors are way more expensive, perform only slightly better, offer less POP protection, and only have a one year warranty.

Newcomer

Well, thanks for your help. I ended up purchasing an 8500 x50 blue from Roy because I decided I really want one of the best detectors available (one of the top 3) . Thanks Roy for helping me out with my purchase and to everyone else who gave their oppinion!

-DaViper

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by DaViper
    Well, thanks for your help. I ended up purchasing an 8500 x50 blue from Roy because I decided I really want one of the best detectors available (one of the top 3) . Thanks Roy for helping me out with my purchase and to everyone else who gave their oppinion!

-DaViper
    What did you do with the Whistler unit?
    Are you using it along with the x50?

Newcomer

I'm selling it to a friend for $100. It doesn't sound like it's a good idea to run 2 radars at once.

-DaViper

Newcomer

Default Whistle Pro3450

I bought 2 of the Whistlers because of the POP and remote install. I also like having the same tones and patterns so I don't have to remember what car I'm driving. The first month with the 3450 was nice, but the range has be deteriorating even with constant on. I can barely pick up automatic doors anymore. Every now and then it will go to full, flashing PULSE, and then silent even though all it is seeing is an automatic door. Drives me crazy. It worked fine and has slowly gotten worse and worse. Wish I would have just spent the money before and got the Bels. I guess the summer heat around here just kills this piece of junk. If it was just one of them I'd think it was a lemmon, but to get two in two different cars acting the same way after a few months really irritates me.

Experienced

I would question that whistlers ability in instant on more than anything. I suppose its a moot point now that you've sold it. Congrats on joining the big 3.