Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much lead time?

I know this is a vauge question, but how much lead time is reasonable from the midgrade to high end radar/laser detectors (assuming unobstructed terrain and clear weather)

thanks.

Advanced Member

Default Re: How much lead time?

Quote Originally Posted by radioflyer97
    I know this is a vauge question, but how much lead time is reasonable from the midgrade to high end radar/laser detectors (assuming unobstructed terrain and clear weather)

thanks.
    Yeah, that's pretty vague. Unobstructed terrain, clear weather, line of sight? 10+ Minutes @ 60 MPH is possible.

Good Citizen

When I had my Bel V995 (midgrade I suppose), following my dad with his Valentine One I noticed he had consistently 20-30 seconds more warning than I did (he'd get on the brakes 20-30 secs before I picked up the radar ahead).

So if I had 20 seconds, he had 40. If I had a minute, he had about a minute and a half.

The V995 was plenty enough warning. . . but the V1 was a whole lot more, which is what you get for the extra hundredish dollars.

Professional

Default Re: How much lead time?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Quote Originally Posted by radioflyer97

thanks.
    Yeah, that's pretty vague. Unobstructed terrain, clear weather, line of sight? 10+ Minutes @ 60 MPH is possible.
    Possible, but unlikely in real world unless you are in the desert with a V1 and the radar is directed towards you. IMO

Professional

I think the longest detection I've had to date was about 2 minutes warning on X band with a cheapo rebranded Whistler back in 1998. Very flat, straight road (NC Hwy 12 on Hatteras Island) picking up the NCHP who had someone pulled over already.

Banned

Let’s say striate line of sight and no obstructions. A good RD can alert to radar pretty far but can the LEO get your speed at that distance?

For example, If you pick up KA 2mi away at what point will the LEO get your speed. At 2mi, 1mi? Same for K band?

that's what i was referring to. The theory is that a radar or laser signal has to bounce back to the source to get a reading and that a laer/radar detector should be able to pick up the signal before it strong enough to bounce back. (the exception would of course be pop/instant on)

Reguarding pop/instant on, can a radar laser detector pick up a signal pointed at another vehicle (especially laser)

Advanced Member

As for the maximum range at which police radar can clock your speed, I'll quote myself from an old thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=22020

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    The maximum possible target range will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on the radar cross section. For example, here's a Car & Driver test from way back in 1979(!). They used a Kustom KR-11, results are in feet.

But of course, different models etc will have different maximum ranges against the same vehicle.

You can view a more recent study against some current guns: HERE. (It might be wise to take the absolute results in this with a grain of salt... see author's name.)

To som things up, it is generally a couple thousand feet to over a mile depending on the mode and the circumstances.

Jim
    Radar can rarely get your speed over a mile away. High-end radar detectors have been shown to get 10+ miles of range on open terrain.

Bottom line: any modern radar detector can detect the radar at many times the range at which the radar can acquire your speed.

jimbonzzz: thanks for the chart. (lucky me, i'm the first one on the list 8) )

That covers radar quite well.

Do you have a similar chart for laser?

Banned

That’s exactly what we were looking for.

Wow the Corvette did well, I guess having a pointed front on your car is a good thing.

I wish there were more current tests.