Speed Demon

Default Photo Radar in Illinois (RX65)

I have read numerous reports that photo radar will start in Illlinois in July of this year. The units are mainly to be placed in construction zones on the Dan Ryan expressway and other major highways throughout Illinois. The first offence is going to cost you $375.00 and the second is going to be $1000.00 and a 90 day suspension of your license. It has be said that the units will be attached to vans and will take a photo of the motorists driving and their speed. So my question is, does anybody know how the RX65 would fair against this kind of speed detection or any of the big 3 for that matter? I travel the route mentioned everday and definitely don't want to get hit with a fine. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Professional

dont speed in construction zones. :roll:

Experienced

You'll fare better if you keep an eye out for vehicles on the side of the road, watch for other cars brake lights and/or and get a photo jammer..

My RX65 (and from what I gather other detectors) provides little warning for photo radar, but my eyeballs usually do a pretty good job.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Photo Radar in Illinois (RX65)

Quote Originally Posted by aust3333
    I have read numerous reports that photo radar will start in Illlinois in July of this year. The units are mainly to be placed in construction zones on the Dan Ryan expressway and other major highways throughout Illinois. The first offence is going to cost you $375.00 and the second is going to be $1000.00 and a 90 day suspension of your license. It has be said that the units will be attached to vans and will take a photo of the motorists driving and their speed. So my question is, does anybody know how the RX65 would fair against this kind of speed detection or any of the big 3 for that matter? I travel the route mentioned everday and definitely don't want to get hit with a fine. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Photo radar may also be around where I live as well as there has been a lot of talk about people running red lights. If photo radar does become a issue around where I live then I will just have to buy back my first 8500 as I have heard that the First 8500 does a much better job at this type of radar.

I think that the first 8500 is still a great detector but it really shows its age and one of my biggest issues with the first one was the fact that it had very bad instant on range on K band I mean there would many times that I was right on top of the police car before I got my first alert but with my X50 it does do a much better job at instant on K band radar and this is because the X50 has %50 better range Vs the first 8500.

Professional

In my own testing the X50 has better photo radar (34.3Ghz KA) than the RX65, having a faster response time. I'm not sure why this occurs as they are supposed to be very similiar (software would be the big difference i can think of though).

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Vino
    dont speed in construction zones. :roll:

I don't speed through construction Vino, but it could could down to one of those days when you are distracted and you come to construction and the speed limit changes and BAM. Just wnated to see If I would be protected in instances like this. Everyone is not perfect like you and your V1 Vino.