Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Speeding Day or Night

I still cant figure out if its safer to speed during the day or at night. During the day there is a lot more traffic on the hwy, but also a lot more LEO's running around. Then there is the risk of vascar and laser during the day.

I dont think Laser is run during the night, but I'm not for certain. I came back in town last night leaving at 12:30 am and arriving at 2:45 am. I didnt see one LEO. My detector was quiet the whole time and I went up and down in speed. It depended on who I could follow and how fast they were going.

The problem at night is that you cant see whos in the median. Sometimes you may have long stretches of being on the road by yourself for a mile or so. I wonder if the hwy patrol even has a 3rd shift. It seems the times that I have been traveling that late at night, I never see any officers.

Any thoughts on this?

Newcomer

I haven't seen anything significant at night either except some K band always-on around construction vehicles here in Austin during early morning hours. No verified LEOs however. I'm paranoid because I've seen some instant-on Ka in use first hand as I've been clocked by that when I'm the ONLY person on the road late at night in the city.

However, I haven't seen anything on the highway at night. As we all know, speed enforcement is revenue. There may not be as much money in enforcing at night because of less traffic and people possibly slowing down at night.

Lead Foot

1rst LASER Can be used at night, 2nd I don't like to speed at night because I am afraind of Not seeing something I should, maybe there is less cop but I like to be able to see what is comming ahead of me

Lead Foot

Short story I just reminded, once I was comming back from Quebec City to Montreal and It was like 2AM I had 2 encounter in a 250KM Ride both Constant-ON K-band, one of them was just parked on the side road with all light off ( I wonder how legal this is) Using is REAR Radar, I had a good 1 minute warning time 8)

Old Timer

Police will use laser during the day and night. But laser has the greater advantage at night, when its strength is at max. During the day the laser reduces its power to compensate for the light, giving you the advantage.

I vote for you to travel during the day

Radar Fanatic

my only ticket was laser at night

Experienced

I have been lasered once during the night. he was in the bushes about 700 feet away from me in a construction zone too.
    I try not to go over 10 mph at night because, during the night, i am virtually blind to speed traps.

Speed Demon

I like traveling during the day because there is a higher likelihood of someone in front of you getting hit with instant on radar. I do have a friend who is a North Carolina Trooper and he often works with one other person to cover all of Guilford County (Greensboro and outlying area) when he works third shift. This is not true during holidays however. At night you would have a better chance of not getting hit with radar, but if you did you may not get any warning because of the lack of other cars on the road. My luck I would be flying solo and get a ticket. Travel daytime whenever possible.

Radar Fanatic

I like to travel long distances at night because there is far less traffic, but I don't feel safe speeding much. Given the prominence of laser and instant on I am saved by my own two eyes at least as often as by my V1. It has its moments, no doubt, but I feel that I am at a big disadvantage when I can't scan down the road in front of me. In fact, I can think of two very scary instances where I was cruising along at about the limit when I got hit and never saw it coming. One was laser and one was instant-on Ka.

On a more important note, over-driving your headlights is a bad thing. I could probably do 80 with my high-beams but anything over 75 with the lows on most cars is really pushing it. They just don't throw light far enough down the road.

Speed Demon

I dont know why but i never seen cops on roads between 12:30pm and 3:00am and theres pretty much no traffic too. Speeding in these hours is safer because you can see other cars coming ahead with the lights reflections. Another thing to consider if ur alone on the road is that LEOs with lights Shutted down cant be seen from far so if they are well hidden and using instant on or laser you are pretty much screwed.