Professional

Default will turning on POP improve KA sensitivity

hi

I have an X50 here in HK. They use multanovas, pointed away from you, and very low powered. They use KA band, but the warning time i'd get from the X50 is extremely low, usually just few seconds b4 i cross the radar.

Will turning on POP make the radar more sensitive to KA band? Since I know it will go off on very weak short alerts if POP is turned on?

On another hand, is there any way to set the radar so that K band can be turned off in city mode, but still on using highway mode?

Professional

Someone people said that enabling POP will make the detector sweep the KA band faster, but some others said it will only scan the specific manufacturer's POP frequency faster only (eg. 35.xxGhz).

In my testing, it didn't make much of a difference either way. But personally I enabled it... having POP allows me to know if there are other radar detector users around... i like that

Advanced Member

With POP turned on, the detectors don't sweep the entire KA band faster. Basically they are scanning only the BEE III's 33.8 GHz frequency more often (plus a guardband probably). I know this to be a fact.

I would leave POP off if you are trying to detect multanovas. Turning POP on might actually decrease performance slightly for the rest of the Ka band, because with POP on the detector is spending so much of it's time looking at 33.8.

Jim

Professional

thanks for your replies.

is there any other way i can improve KA sensitivity? i already use highway mode, and X band is turned off.

Professional

I have been doing some experiements with various tuning methods, including external antenna and so forth, and some have improved the sensitivity quite a bit (forwards), but decrease side sensitivity. But side sensitivity is really useless anyway, since all photo radar is ahead of your car, not on the side.

Professional

NVr2fast.

external antennae? Like that one you mentioned that is made out of metal in a horn shape?

what other ways to improve sensitivity? And.....how will it stick to the windshield if you add the antennae?

Professional

any further comments on increasing the range for multanovas?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Dilip
    any further comments on increasing the range for multanovas?
    As you know I'm getting in 25-30 X50s in the next week or so, and I will be doing some tests with a few of the car club members. Some of them have some manufacturing capability, and I have already penciled in a diagram for the additional horn antenna, and I'll probably build a prototype out of some sheet metal or something. In fact, some other members are already trying from the previous group buy I arranged, so hopefully we'll have some good results soon.

Speed Demon

Default Re: will turning on POP improve KA sensitivity

Quote Originally Posted by Dilip
    hi

I have an X50 here in HK. They use multanovas, pointed away from you, and very low powered. They use KA band, but the warning time i'd get from the X50 is extremely low, usually just few seconds b4 i cross the radar.

Will turning on POP make the radar more sensitive to KA band? Since I know it will go off on very weak short alerts if POP is turned on?

On another hand, is there any way to set the radar so that K band can be turned off in city mode, but still on using highway mode?
    I think it does. Be very careful about turning off radar bands. I don't think its ever a good idea to turn off bands because alot of times the cops like to lie about what they are using just so they can write more tickets to detector owners.

Professional

Oh and i'm working with another guy to make a Spectre-proof X50. It won't be COMPLETELY invisible but the cop would need to get really, really close (ie. next to your car kind of close) to pick it up. And i think that is good enough already, because if they are close enough to get a reading/signal, then they can physically see inside your car and inspect it anyway.