Newcomer

Default Metallic Window Tint (radar reflection?)

I have a quick question about my cars window tint. My car has the Metatllic type tint and I was told at the shop where it was done that it could interfere with GPS reception.

Now to my question. Does Metallic tint basically make your car a giant radar reflector? I have used Furuno Radar in offshore boats. On longline fishing setups, boats stretch out longlines with bouys set out in intervals. These can be several miles long. On these bouys are radar reflectors. Your radar will paint a nice picture of your longline position based on these radar reflectors.

So, just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tested how well a police radar gun paints a car without Metallic tint as opposed to a car with Metallic tint?

Just curious. Maybe the GOL crew could do a test on this.

For the record, I don't have any tint on my front windshield. Just the sides and the rear.

Lumberjack93

Newcomer

Default Any takers

Any takers

Speed Demon

I know that the metallic tint can significantly reduce detector reception. I don't know if it actually increases a target's radar reflection, but that's possible. It's also possible that it scatters or reflects towards the sky rather than reflecting coherently towards the gun. Police or speed RADAR is just a toy compared to aircraft, marine or military RADAR.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by o2bad455
    I know that the metallic tint can significantly reduce detector reception. I don't know if it actually increases a target's radar reflection, but that's possible. It's also possible that it scatters or reflects towards the sky rather than reflecting coherently towards the gun. Police or speed RADAR is just a toy compared to aircraft, marine or military RADAR.
    o2bad455, thanks for your input? I appreciate it!

Lumberjack93