Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default For those who lives where RDD are illegal

Hi, I live in Quebec (where RD are illegal), and I just ordered a Sti Driver. My question is, where is the best place to install the RD to not be seen by the police? I thought I could stick it on the dash, is this a good idea?
    Thanks everybody!

Experienced

To get a good range, people are going to recommend to mount it high. Maybe next to the rear view mirror? It would be difficult for a LEO to particularly distinguish it, blending with the mirror.

Administrator

Consider getting one of these, I use it in my motorhome:
    http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...isorholder.cfm
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: For those who lives where RDD are illegal

Quote Originally Posted by lfris
    Hi, I live in Montreal, and I just ordered a Sti Driver. My question is, where is the best place to install the RD to not be seen by the police? I thought I could stick it on the dash, is this a good idea? My car is a MR2, so I don't have a lot of room to hide it while in use......

Thanks everybody!
    First of all try not to post info on your vehicle especially when you live in a jurisdiction where RDs are illegal... btw, no idea what MR2 is but that doesn't mean some cops floating around this forum are as dumb as myself :wink:

You can mount it anywhere, high is best for conventional radar, low very good for laser, in the middle on the windshield well this option ain't available for you (and I) as anybody will see it right away... so, mount it anywhere you like it and then make sure you cannot see with your own eyes from outside... very good to mount it up high by the visor but that requires a professional hardwiring installation, mine is done inside the headliner, also you will need a visor clip and a CD holder to cover it up... maybe other teamsters will give you different ideas better than mine... best of luck and drive safely :wink:

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by RW'07
    ... very good to mount it up high by the visor but that requires a professional hardwiring installation...
    Not necessarily "professional" - but yes, it's more involved than just a plug-and-play scenario.

Hardwiring a radar-detector can be done by anyone with just average proficiency at turning a screwdriver or using a pair of pliers, with basic electrical knowledge, and a willingness to either learn, or research the necessary directions via past-posts here.

Typically, removal of interior vehicle panels is minimal (usually, just the cover to the fuse panel, which is designed to be easily accessed), and routing of the wiring can be done by just gently forcing said wire into the trim junction seams. None of this should be a permanent vehicle modification, so even on leased vehicles, this can be easily done.

Usually, the most difficult part of the wiring will be to find an appropriate fuse to tap into for switched power as desired by the end-user. Electrical "tap" devices are readily and cheaply available, and are very easy to use.

--

As for a stealthy install, bear in mind that there will likely be some consequences as to reception/performance - how much trade-off that will be will depend highly on exactly how "hidden" your installation may be, and how much you compromise the reception areas of your detector.

This thread (and its internally referenced threads, in-turn) should help you get started with some ideas:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...tealth+install

One thing that I'd like to add to that reference is the idea of incorporating - particularly if you have multi-layered defenses (i.e. detector and jammer[s]), the idea of a centralized "kill-switch" to rapidly and comprehensively shut-down all countermeasures. A readily accessed (note here that such access should not require, say, "bending down" in the car - or otherwise tipping-off the enforcer and/or raising his/her suspicions as well as the encounter threat level), yet well-concealed switch - that itself cannot be unknowingly disengaged - will fill this requirement.

Finally, remember that while the STi-R is not yet available here, Stateside, its purchase can be had by going off-shore. Note that there have been some concerns as to its laser detections capabilities, and as such, it may be worth it to await a further/potential revision of this product before it comes to our shores.

Good Citizen

what about high near your driver side A-pillar? Cops won't usually spot a radar detector near there and you'll still get excellent reception.

I live in Ontario and mount my 995 between the sun visor and a cheapo walmart-type cd holder.

I made a power cord (simple cheapo phone cord) using a coupler, to extend the length of the power cord that it came with, and ran it up the pillar on the driver's side.

Oh, and I put a rubber band around the RD to stop it from sliding out. For a "Quick release" mechanism all I did was break the tab off the phone jack so that nothing is holding it in, and that I can just yank it down and put it in my pocket... did this last week at a RIDE program roadblock! Actually this was in Quebec avec la Surete!

...the main thing is, for me, being able to throw it in your pocket as fast as possible. And with my setup it's really easy.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
    Not necessarily "professional" - but yes, it's more involved than just a plug-and-play scenario.

Hardwiring a radar-detector can be done by anyone with just average proficiency at turning a screwdriver or using a pair of pliers, with basic electrical knowledge, and a willingness to either learn, or research the necessary directions via past-posts here. ...
    By 'professional' I meant 'done by a professionally licenced RD/car audio installer'... I'm making damn good money to afford paying a professional to work on a $30K brand-new vehicle which I plan keeping and driving for at least 6 years... two Circuit City guys had to work on my car for about 90 min but I was charged just 1 hr of labor, the complications of my car's electrical system were on them :wink:

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by beatrice
    I live in Ontario and mount my 995 between the sun visor and a cheapo walmart-type cd holder.

I made a power cord (simple cheapo phone cord) using a coupler, to extend the length of the power cord that it came with, and ran it up the pillar on the driver's side.

Oh, and I put a rubber band around the RD to stop it from sliding out. For a "Quick release" mechanism all I did was break the tab off the phone jack so that nothing is holding it in, and that I can just yank it down and put it in my pocket... did this last week at a RIDE program roadblock! Actually this was in Quebec avec la Surete!

...the main thing is, for me, being able to throw it in your pocket as fast as possible. And with my setup it's really easy.
    I strongly recommend spending some time researching the SPECTRE section of this forum... for your own sake :wink:

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by beatrice

Dude,why you do this to us ...this is not highschool enforcement we are talking about ... using 995 in ontario is big No No and while you are researching spectra ... google " RDD" ... or may be its alright , i guess you can afford to hand away your 995 and pay $175 just for fun ....