Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Can you get pulled for doing SPL in snow condition?

Just saw a trooper on the median. His Crown Vic was too easy to spot on a snow covered highway even in the dark. The condition was pretty bad and my V1 didn't make a sound. So he was possibly just monitoring traffic or wanted to do I/O. I was doing 55/70 at the time so I had nothing to worry about. Can you get pulled if you do SPL in bad snow condition?

Radar Fanatic

Funny that you ask, I've actually been pulled once
    for going 8 under the PSL. I am assuming that the officer thought
    I had been drinking. It was late at night so I could understand
    his reasoning. The fact is that my windows were fogged and
    I was going slow until they cleared.... It was a very cold cold night,
    I'm surprised the officer wanted to get out in it.

As far as your question above, I highly doubt he'd pull you
    going under in Snow Conditions.... Your only being safe and
    your defense would hold up in court.

Professional

Nope!

he was there just waititng for the wreck to happen! Because with a bad storm as you described, its just a matter of minutes before he is called out to a wreck.

Im sure he is also waiting for one of the Idiots that do 80 in a blinding snowstorm to come smoking past him so he can light him up as well

Power User

Err, "prudent judgement" for road conditions still overgoverns the speed limit. It's the same reason why you'd get pulled over if you tried to make your left turns in the city at the posted 50mph limit

And if you're going slow enough to cause a danger, then yeah, you can get pulled over, but usually just to check that you are ok and not drunk/tired/distracted.

Experienced

Doing 55/70 felt pretty fast in bad snow condition. I mean can the LEO still pull you over if he thinks that speed is inappropriate under such condition even though it's at or under SPL?

Old Timer

I guess if you are obviously going faster than conditions (heavy fog, snow, or rain) I guess you could get pulled over for driving "faster than conditions."

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by a529612
    Doing 55/70 felt pretty fast in bad snow condition. I mean can the LEO still pull you over if he thinks that speed is inappropriate under such condition even though it's at or under SPL?
    Absolutely.

Experienced

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Absolutely.
    How do you know what speed is "acceptable" to the LEO? Say you do 40/70 but he thinks you should do 30/70 and pulls you over. Isn't it subjective? How would he write the ticket under such condition for going below SPL? Moving violation?

Yoda of Radar

SPL... well of course if your running too high of a Sound Pressure Level in any weather, you may get a ticket. :wink: (Just joking, hopefully that'll get edited.)

PSL=Posted Speed Limit (among other things)
    SPL=Sound Pressure Level (among other things)

As for the original question, you COULD get a ticket for doing the PSL in bad weather, but for the most part you wouldn't (despite what many people have said). ITS VERY UNLIKELY!!!!

If you dont get in an accident. It would be hard for the LEO to prove your speed wasn't prudent if you didn't get into an accident or cause anyone else to get into one. After all if you made it safe from point A>B wouldn't that be good evidence you had control over the situation? Honestly you would probably get it reduced or thrown out in court with any decent lawyer. It would be a huge debate on wether the PSL was practical at that moment, and most officers really dont want to bother with such a thing, especially if you have the proof that your made it from A>B safely at the said PSL. (If your going ABOVE the legal limit, then thats another ball game.)

Now if you get in an accident thats a whole different story too, the fact that you got into an accident is, in itself proof that you obviously (for some reason), [speed being a good one]... didn't have control of your vehicle and your speed/driving was not 'safe' for the conditions of the road, this is proved via the fact of your wrecked car. This equals a hard-to-fight ticket.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Absolutely.
    How do you know what speed is "acceptable" to the LEO? Say you do 40/70 but he thinks you should do 30/70 and pulls you over. Isn't it subjective? How would he write the ticket under such condition for going below SPL? Moving violation?
    You're absolutely right, this is a very subjective opinion and cops will generally ONLY try to pull you over for this if you are being ridiculously imprudent in your judgement (i.e going at posted 70 during heavy snow accumulation, or blowing past a stopped patrolcar or disabled vehicle, taking turns/curves way too aggressively, etc)

I've yet to hear of any tickets for said behavior but definitely cops might pull you over to give you a warning (and if you react with contention then I can see that escalating to a ticket...)