Lead Foot

Default Sticky-Pad Success

Somewhere in the wayback I read a suggestion that a "sticky-pad" would make a good dash mount, perhaps superior to Velcro. I bought one at Wal--* last night for ~$5 and it works really well. I applaud the wise person who made this suggestion.
    Thank you,
    Bill

Good Citizen

is that like a non slip surface? you know for like sunglasses and mobile phones on your dash and console ? just asking cause i used to use it on a old RD but everyone keeps saying to mount it higher

Lead Foot

That's the product.
    WRT to detector mounting, I have always preferred dash-mounts, and have been using RDs since 1974. Placement functions as another filter in the overall signal transfer.

Almost any detector has sufficient range in X and K to make mounting insignificant. In Ka, there may be a reproducible difference as many cheap detectors are marginal for this band.

Laser detection is a different story, however, and I don't believe that the solution is global, but rather vehicle dependent. My reasoning is as follows:

The FOV is assumed to be a symmetrical circular lens, hence a dash mount, simply speaking, results in half a circle sliced at its diameter. This may be correct if the paint on the hood absorbs completely, but at grazing incidence, there will be a surface-dependent transfer function comprised of line-of-sight illumination, absorption, back-scattering, and forward-scattering. The forward scattering may restore lost FOV. Absorption and back-scattering decrease detection. Now I must get out my optics textbooks....

Newcomer

It is a better way than velcro I think.

Just be careful because I did the same thing awhile back with my old Whistler and the heat got to it. I hadn't moved it from the same spot for a long time and the heat melted some of that non-slip surface onto the bottom of my RD. I couldn't get it off either.

Other than that it's pretty helpful and easy. If you get pulled over you can just snatch your RD off the dash and put up your cell phone to make it look like that is in fact what you use it for.