Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I buy a used BEL V985? How old is this detector?

Hello I am from Ontario Canada. I am completely new to radar detectors and am not really certain how badly I will be penalized if I get caught with a detector. Will I just get a minor fine and the detector taken away, or will it be a major criminal offense in Canada for using a detector illegally?

I am also curious what is the difference between the various models around the BEL V985? Are they mostly the same or is Vector worst than the other ones in the series? What year was the V985 released?

I just want a gizmo to know if there are cops around, I don't really care to speed too excessively. I'm wondering how high are the odds I will get caught through an RDD with this BEL unit?

Much thanks, Regards.

Advanced Member

Well the Their is the BEL Vector 995 which is the newer verion of the BEL 985.

Personally if you plan o use this detector in canada buy something cheap and you won't mind losing to the cops and if you are going to buy a detector for the States go with the Vector 995

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Power User

I had a vector 985 and loved it. I am not sure how the laser sensitivity is on it but it has gone off when I was hit with laser. It is just as powerfull as my x-50 in my opinion however I can't prove that just my 02. I came up with that buy doing some long range test on it before I found this forum. I sold the detector to my father because he was going to buy a cheap one from radio shack.

OUTRUN

Professional

The Bel 985 is at least 3 years old. For the most part it is still a good unit.
    The one thing you will have to be aware of is the heat issue.
    A lot of these after sitting in the heat liked to false alot on the KA band and I have seen some give the following error: ?dll lock on the display.
    I have no idea what that error means but usually if you unplug it for a bit it will be ok for awhile but the error will reapear after awhile.

If you know the unit is working correctly and you are getting it at a good buy (less than $100USD) then I would buy it.

Good Citizen

It's not a criminal offense to be caught with a detector, its only against the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. I was caught with a detector about 7-8 years ago and the fine was $170 and they took it away.

Radar Fanatic

Default contrary to Highway Traffic Act of Ontario

Speed measuring warning devices

79. (1) In this section,

“speed measuring warning device” means any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to warn the driver of the presence of speed measuring equipment in the vicinity and includes any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to interfere with the effective operation of speed measuring equipment. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Speed measuring warning device prohibited

(2) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle that is equipped with or that carries or contains a speed measuring warning device. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Powers of police officer

(3) A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Forfeiture of device

(4) Where a person is convicted of an offence under this section, any device seized under subsection (3) by means of which the offence was committed is forfeited to the Crown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 79 (4).

Penalty

(5) Every person who contravenes subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 79 (5).

Exception

(6) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who is transporting speed measuring warning devices in sealed packages in a motor vehicle from a manufacturer to a consignee. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Sale of speed measuring warning devices prohibited

(7) No person shall sell, offer or advertise for sale a speed measuring warning device by retail. 1996, c. 33, s. 12.

Penalty

(8) Every person who contravenes subsection (7) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable,

(a) for a first offence, to a fine of not more than $1,000; and

(b) for each subsequent offence, to a fine of not more than $5,000. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 79 (8).

Just to let everyone know, I have the record for the longest running court battle in Ontario to legalize detectors. I spent 13 months in court (11 appearances) way back in 1989 to try and have this section ruled unconstitutional (search and seizure issues, mobility issues, surruptitious electronic surveillance--VG2 etc). The court never ended up hearing most of the arguments as the case continuosly was adjourned. I had 2 different detector companies help me cover the cost of this challenge. (They will remain anonymous)

To this day, the OPP still continues to confiscate detectors. I've yet to see local cops with spectres or VG-2's, and would be interested if anyone has knowledge of county mounties using these devices.

In a nutshell, its not even worth using a detector in Ontario. You can comfortably cruise at 120-130 km/h (75 -80 mph) on most of the 400-series highways, and getting caught for speeding is more of a "luck" issue than enforcement. While our police will set up speed traps from time to time, Ontario is nothing like Ohio, Georgia or other heavy enforcement states where you see cops every 5 miles with their radar guns on.

I was notified by the owner of radarbusters.com that there are currently around 175 Spectre II units in Ontario. My purposes of obtaining a Detector are purely of a curiousity nature. If there are a pack of other cars, is it likely I will be caught with an RDD?

Speed Demon

The Spectre has no arrows to show where the signal is coming from, if you are running in a pack of car the officer will have a hard job pinpointing you but if you are alone youre screwed. Note that if you are the fastest car in the pack or running a "sports car" he will arrest you for a checkup for sure.Trying to stay "under the radar" is the best way to defeat the LEOs running Spectre.

Yoda of Radar

The best defense is to turn the unit OFF when there is a suspicious conditions.

If you see a car in the median where the police like to sit and run the radar/lidar...

Cars on the side of the road, look for Impalas with CB antennae on the trunk...

Marked police cars, obviously...

When you know you won't exceed the limit for a long time (traffic jam, red light), turn off the RD.

If you have passed a suspicious vehicle, like an unmarked unit that wasn't running radar, turn off the unit and keep it off for several kilometres, until you can be assured the guy didn't go after your pack.

If there is a suspicious situation, don't go all the way down to 100 klicks unless it's what everyone else is doing. Maybe slow to 110 km/h or so.

The officer has no right to search your person for a radar detector in Ontario and Quebec. If you are about to get pulled, try and hide it in your jacket or something quickly. If he wants to pat you down, tell him to go **** himself!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
    The Spectre has no arrows to show where the signal is coming from, if you are running in a pack of car the officer will have a hard job pinpointing you but if you are alone youre screwed. Note that if you are the fastest car in the pack or running a "sports car" he will arrest you for a checkup for sure.Trying to stay "under the radar" is the best way to defeat the LEOs running Spectre.
    Keep in mind the Spectre has a swivel mounting, which allows pretty damn good pinpointing of the source, look for 4 suction cups on the windshield.