Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default How true is this - Valentine V1 vs .....

How true is this?

vs

Professional

very true, no need to depend on reflections with v1.

Power User

Very true, the V1 has very significantly superior rear detection range. More importantly, however, the V1 is able to identify a threat creeping from the rear so you know where to look and how to react, rather than just dismissing it as some stray signal or looking left and right beyond the horizon while a crown vic is right behind you

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Very true, the V1 has very significantly superior rear detection range. More importantly, however, the V1 is able to identify a threat creeping from the rear so you know where to look and how to react, rather than just dismissing it as some stray signal or looking left and right beyond the horizon while a crown vic is right behind you
    x2.

I had a Ohio State Trooper about a mile behind me driving immediately when I got onto the highway. I was easily able to notice him before I saw him in my rear view mirror.

Radar Fanatic

Well i have to disagree with this. I do agree that the V1's rear detection is far better then others, but what this picture implies is just not true. it suggests that a LEO could sneak up on you with constant on and get your speed before you got an alert, and i think we all know that any top end detector can still provide warning in such a situation. if he was running IO however and coming up behind you the V1 would def be an advantage, and in that case without it you might get a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Well said. With other radar detectors it takes experience to guess when radar is creeping up behind you. And even then you might be wrong because you could actually be approaching radar ahead of you which is moving in your same direction of travel. After over 20 years of using radar detectors, it has become second nature for me to always check my six o'clock roughly every 30 seconds or so. Still, the V1's arrows aren't an issue for me since I don't drive like the maniac I was around 20 years ago when the national speed limit was 55mph!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by carter840
    Well i have to disagree with this. I do agree that the V1's rear detection is far better then others, but what this picture implies is just not true. it suggests that a LEO could sneak up on you with constant on and get your speed before you got an alert, and i think we all know that any top end detector can still provide warning in such a situation.
    You are right, I'd expect any decent detector to provide detection beyond speed lock range in this situation, though it might be tight. The bigger problem is interpreting the alert -- without the V1's arrows, I think "maybe the cop is behind" is one of the last possibilities to cross one's mind. That's the bigger problem.

Speed Demon

I have a V1 and a STi. This comparison isn't really true. You can get extremely good range with any of the top detectors when an officer is coming from behind. The V1's rear detection is no where near it's or any of the top detectors front detection. However, it's rear detection is better and more importantly the ability to know the radar is coming from the rear is exlusive to the V1.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Virion
    The V1's rear detection is no where near it's or any of the top detectors front detection.
    What does that mean?

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by djdownfawl
    Quote Originally Posted by Virion
    The V1's rear detection is no where near it's or any of the top detectors front detection.
    What does that mean?
    The range of detecting a rear threat is still not as good as the frontal range on any detector, which is true.

However, IIRC same-lane moving lock range is still pretty poor for police radar.