Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default A Call for Proper FALSE testing.

I was just responding to another post and I realized, you there has been very little if any testing of falsing. It seems to be the common mantra that the x50s false less than the V1s, but I've never seen a concrete test of this.

In my own experience, I live close to a road in ohio that had exactly 3 door opener falses on it. 2 K band and 1 xband. Two years ago when I bought my v1, I was annoyed with the constant falsing, and after reading opinions by folks like Radarboy on epinions, I decided to send back the V1 and try an 8500 (not x50 back then). Well I was very very dissapointed to find that the 8500 falsed at exactly all three of the same locations. However, the 8500 seemed a bit less annoying or noticeable because it kicked on the automute after a few beeps.

So, I sent back the 8500 and re-ordered V1. I had grown accustomed to the arrows, and with all the moving radar used in our area I thought... especially at night that the arrows would be a lifesaver.

But I digress.

Happya$$ and I talked once about doing a proper test under semi-controlled conditions to test falsing, but we never ended up doing this. I'd like to try a V1, a X50 and an Rx65 on the same stretch of road in my area and see if there is any difference in falsing. I think this test could be one of the more important tests done, as it would put to rest this issue of which detector is better/worse in this regard.

I have a V1, I can get my hands on an X50 (my father bought one on my recommendation) however I don't have an Rx65. Happy, if you'd like we can get together to test/fim this sometime soon. If anyone in the Cleveland area has an RX65 or would like to send us one for this test, please let us know.

Radar Fanatic

Happy, check your PMs

Speed Demon

Default Re: A Call for Proper FALSE testing.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    After reading opinions by folks like Radarboy on epinions, I decided to send back the V1 and try an 8500 (not x50 back then)..
    You believed statements like these from RadarBoy12312:

"My testing shows that the X50 had about a 20 second lead on K band,10 to 15 second lead on KA band,and yes it even had about a 5 second lead on laser. The testing lasted about 12 weeks and not once did the Valentine sound off before the 8500.

So for the very first day of the test we drove about 500 miles and we got hit with radar about 6 times during those 500 miles and not once did the Valentine sound off before the 8500 did. The first time we got hit with KA band radar from a S,T, car parked on the side of the highway. The X50 sounded off about 5 seconds before the Valentine did. The second time was again Ka band but this time the 8500 sounded off a full 1min before the Valentine did. The third time was K band and the 8500 had about a 10 second lead. the 4th 5th and 6th time where all from speed sings using K band and the 8500 had about a two mile lead WOW."

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by BiGeAsYgUy
    After reading opinions by folks like Radarboy on epinions, I decided to send back the V1 and try an 8500 (not x50 back then)..

"My testing shows that the X50 had about a 20 second lead on K band,10 to 15 second lead on KA band,and yes it even had about a 5 second lead on laser. The testing lasted about 12 weeks and not once did the Valentine sound off before the 8500.

So for the very first day of the test we drove about 500 miles and we got hit with radar about 6 times during those 500 miles and not once did the Valentine sound off before the 8500 did. The first time we got hit with KA band radar from a S,T, car parked on the side of the highway. The X50 sounded off about 5 seconds before the Valentine did. The second time was again Ka band but this time the 8500 sounded off a full 1min before the Valentine did. The third time was K band and the 8500 had about a 10 second lead. the 4th 5th and 6th time where all from speed sings using K band and the 8500 had about a two mile lead WOW."

Well, I belived it was possible.... but one thing I saw was that people were repeating this mantra about the falsing over and over beecause they had read it in other posts... so I belived it also. Then when I tested the 8500 it alerted to the exact same door openers!!!

So now I take everything I read with a grain of salt... I love the videos section here, because it lets me see with my own eyes.

Speed Demon

Videos don't lie and that's why more people should post videos.

Experienced

Well im not so sure on the 10-20 seconds, unless it was a bad v1. I would think closer to 2-5 seconds max. I would presume the v1 would alert first in K band and definately in laser first. The X50 might alert first in KA band, but again maybe by 2 seconds. Its so close in radar that it really doesnt matter too much and I dont think you should use the V1 to help you from getting laser tickets either.

Experienced

Videos don't lie and that's why more people should post videos.
    ditto

Power User

I have test all 3 top RD's lately and will be having another week to do it and post my findings. I have never encountered a 3 seconds or more delay with either the 3 RD's in the last 5 days of using all 3 at the same time. The most i get is 2 sec, delay when encoutering a true radar source(LEO) nor did i found a conclusive fact or evidence that one particular RD goess off first all the time. But this is what i found out. The V1 falses more than the RX65 and the X50 specially in X band with the RX65 being the quietest.

I believe that if all of us have a chance to test all top 3 RD's at once for a certain period of time, it will surely change the way you think about a particular radar brand. The top 3 RD's have it's strength and weaknessess. You really have to weigh it and see which one fits your driving habits and understanding of how you use your RD's performance. I know that Mr. V doesn't agree on testing all 3 at once but i believe it is the only way to tell which one filters false alerts better. The RX 65 is less sensitive than the X50 and V1. But does it mean that it is less superior than the other 2? When i say sensitive, what i mean is that the V1 and X50 will show full strength signal but the RX65 will only show 6-7 siganl strength. Performance wise, all 3 performed well with encounters with LEO and you have enough time to slow down and get back to speed limits.

Power User

I was just responding to another post and I realized, you there has been very little if any testing of falsing. It seems to be the common mantra that the x50s false less than the V1s, but I've never seen a concrete test of this.

I suggest that you get the X50 or RX65 or both at the same time and test all 3 together with the V1. You can return it anyway within 30 days. That's what i did - got all 3 at the same time and test it. YOU WILL NEVER HAD A CONCRETE RESULT IF YOU JUST GET ONE RADAR AT A TIME OR BASE YOUR RESULTS FROM ONE'S STATEMENT. Who'll be the best judge? It's you because you know the place that you drive through, test all RD's in real world scenarios and get the information on the spot with good comparison between each brand. The reason why i did this is because, we tend to brag that one is better than the other and usually with forums like this, you'll never know which statemnets are true. To prove it, i have to make my own test without bias opinion basing all the results from my evaluation. How many members do you think have tested all 3 at the same time? There's only a hand few.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Azonehits

I suggest that you get the X50 or RX65 or both at the same time and test all 3 together with the V1. You can return it anyway within 30 days. That's what i did - got all 3 at the same time and test it. YOU WILL NEVER HAD A CONCRETE RESULT IF YOU JUST GET ONE RADAR AT A TIME OR BASE YOUR RESULTS FROM ONE'S STATEMENT. Who'll be the best judge? It's you because you know the place that you drive through, test all RD's in real world scenarios and get the information on the spot with good comparison between each brand. The reason why i did this is because, we tend to brag that one is better than the other and usually with forums like this, you'll never know which statemnets are true. To prove it, i have to make my own test without bias opinion basing all the results from my evaluation. How many members do you think have tested all 3 at the same time? There's only a hand few.
    Well here was my plan.

I wanted to drive down a stretch of road in my area where there are exactly three falses (door openers) always reported on my V1. I would drive this stretch several times, each time having a different of the top three detectors on... to see if indeed there was any difference or if all three falsed to the same sources.

Based on my experience two years ago with the then 8500, I would expect that they would all three false to the three door openers.