Thread: Red Light Cameras
- 01-09-2008 07:32 PM #41Originally Posted by allyoops
So far nobody is talking photo radar in Ontario anymore, they tried it recently, before the last prov elections (last fall), but the premier didn't agree with them so for now this issue is pretty much put to rest
So far I've got all Toronto, Brampton and Mississauga RLCs in my GPS, anytime I see a new one I will just add it up to the current ones... but regardless GPS or no GPS, NEVER EVER RUN A FREAKING RED LIGHT!!!
- 01-09-2008 07:34 PM #42
- 01-09-2008 07:46 PM #43
- Join Date
- Dec 2004
- In front of my computer
- 01-09-2008 08:43 PM #44Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
Conservative Mike Harris got rid of photo radar in Ontario, our Conservative PM Harper got rid of 2% sales tax in just 2 years in power but still everybody hates Conservatives, in Ontario for sure :roll:
- 01-09-2008 09:37 PM #45Originally Posted by allyoops
Just in the past 2 days I've seen 3 RLC on the ground NOT listed on the official Toronto site http://www.toronto.ca/transportation.../locations.htm
1) Can these 3 RLC, and maybe more like these, be FAKE, doing just nothing, taking no photos whatsoever, kept there just as deterrent against RL runners, or maybe people that run the above site do not update it all? One of the 3 RLC not listed above has been in that location for over 8 months when I saw it first time... and why they would keep fake RLCs after they paid $100K for it, getting the money back would make the investment worth it...
2) That little flashlight on top of the pole located right in front of the RLC should flash anytime the light turns red, regardless a car runs a RL, or what, I've seen RLCs when the flashlight goes off and RLCs when that light is totally out, doing nothing, so is this a sign when a RLC is for real and when is just fake?
Thanks a lot in advance
- 01-10-2008 06:34 AM #46Originally Posted by RW'07
Originally Posted by RW'07
Originally Posted by RW'07
- 01-10-2008 07:12 AM #47Originally Posted by RW'07
Cameras go where they are going to catch enough red light runners to make it viable. They do surveys beforehand to look at the timing of lights and traffic volumes. You can be sure that when a camera system goes up - that junction is going to make enough money to make a return on the investment.
For that exact same reason you can also be sure that those junctions are the most likely places in any town where you might be hit by a red-light runner. That's the point of GPS alerts on a GPS sat nav or a dedicated GPS red-light camera detector. Having a safety reminder in advance of these dangerous locations is a good idea. That way you can make sure you're as prepared as possible for an idiot coming the other way through the lights or can watch out for the joker behind who's way too close. If you've been distracted for any reason (music, callphone, friends, kids, daydreaming, etc, etc,) you can re-focus so you don't make a mistake. Avoiding tickets is a bonus!
- 01-10-2008 06:50 PM #48Originally Posted by allyoops
Wilson/Transit Rd (just west of Wilson Heights)
Steeles E/Brimley (seen the RLC for over 8 months now)
And thanks a lot for the detailed answers to my previous concerns
- 01-10-2008 06:57 PM #49Originally Posted by allyoops
- 01-10-2008 08:01 PM #50
Voice alerts identifying the type of camera system, PSL and an overspeed alert if you're going to quickly all come from the Cheetah GPSmirror.
You should be able to find a setting on your Garmin that will at least give you a tone alert. I don't have a garmin so I can't advise any more. I would however suggest going to their website and finding a bit of software called Garmin "POI loader" - that'll make your life a bit easier.
Thanks for the intersection info - I'll pass it onto my database team to check we have it already. That's what all this is about - sharing info. Appreciate it.
- By StlouisX50 in forum News StoriesReplies: 0Last Post: 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM
- By StlouisX50 in forum News StoriesReplies: 0Last Post: 03-04-2011, 01:02 PM
- By StlouisX50 in forum News StoriesReplies: 0Last Post: 12-13-2010, 12:29 PM
- By StlouisX50 in forum News StoriesReplies: 6Last Post: 02-03-2009, 11:48 PM
- By StlouisX50 in forum News StoriesReplies: 0Last Post: 01-16-2009, 12:01 PM