Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by allyoops
    Calgary is going speed-on-green, even Quebec and NB are talking Photo-radar. At least Toronto is only talking about it upping the number of Red light cameras for now. You mentioned Mississauga earlier. they and Brampton are getting a few more this year as part of the Peel region camera expansion.
    I know what you're saying and I hope it stays that way for you but I think once the city chiefs see the kind of revenues that Calgary is going to make, they might think twice about photo-radar. :roll:

We'll have to wait and see.
    http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/roads/red-light/map.htm#map

So far nobody is talking photo radar in Ontario anymore, they tried it recently, before the last prov elections (last fall), but the premier didn't agree with them so for now this issue is pretty much put to rest

So far I've got all Toronto, Brampton and Mississauga RLCs in my GPS, anytime I see a new one I will just add it up to the current ones... but regardless GPS or no GPS, NEVER EVER RUN A FREAKING RED LIGHT!!!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    QC is talking very seriously about photo-radar and RLC to the point where the radar boxes will be appearing... shortly.
    What about the privacy issue?, the reason Conservatives baned photo radar in 1995...

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by RW'07
    QC is talking very seriously about photo-radar and RLC to the point where the radar boxes will be appearing... shortly.
    What about the privacy issue?, the reason Conservatives baned photo radar in 1995...
    Privacy? It wasn't the privacy issue, it was the issue that everyone was mad that they were getting photo radar tickets and Mike Harris said "we will get rid of photo radar" and then everyone voted for Mike Harris

Radar Fanatic

Privacy? It wasn't the privacy issue, it was the issue that everyone was mad that they were getting photo radar tickets and Mike Harris said "we will get rid of photo radar" and then everyone voted for Mike Harris
    Outside it was a privacy issue, but inside was in fact, as you correctly pointed it out, the anger of ordinary citizens over unfair cash grab... he answered their calls, won the '95 elections and got re-elected again, so... :wink:

Conservative Mike Harris got rid of photo radar in Ontario, our Conservative PM Harper got rid of 2% sales tax in just 2 years in power but still everybody hates Conservatives, in Ontario for sure :roll:

Radar Fanatic

Those ones are GATSO red light cameras and you were exactly right on how those ones work.
    Cause obviously you know way more than me about RLCs, 2 quick questions:

Just in the past 2 days I've seen 3 RLC on the ground NOT listed on the official Toronto site http://www.toronto.ca/transportation.../locations.htm

1) Can these 3 RLC, and maybe more like these, be FAKE, doing just nothing, taking no photos whatsoever, kept there just as deterrent against RL runners, or maybe people that run the above site do not update it all? One of the 3 RLC not listed above has been in that location for over 8 months when I saw it first time... and why they would keep fake RLCs after they paid $100K for it, getting the money back would make the investment worth it...
    2) That little flashlight on top of the pole located right in front of the RLC should flash anytime the light turns red, regardless a car runs a RL, or what, I've seen RLCs when the flashlight goes off and RLCs when that light is totally out, doing nothing, so is this a sign when a RLC is for real and when is just fake?
    Thanks a lot in advance

Professional

1) Can these 3 RLC, and maybe more like these, be FAKE... and why they would keep fake RLCs after they paid $100K for it
    It's common practice for cities to put up extra dummy housings and rotate the live working cameras around between the different housings. The tactic is simple: if you never know which is live and which is not, and you can't actually "detect" when one is genuinely working, you have to be extra careful at them all. It's a good, common-sense way for the city to get more for their money.

2) That little flashlight on top of the pole located right in front of the RLC should flash anytime the light turns red, regardless a car runs a RL, or what
    Camera flash units do not flash every time the lights change and you cannot rely on seeing a flash to tell whether a camera system is working or not. Some units use an Infra-red flash which you are just not able to see.

Just in the past 2 days I've seen 3 RLC on the ground NOT listed on the official Toronto site
    Cities often tend to be slow at updating their websites. Some are better than others. What intersections have you seen them at?

Professional

NEVER EVER RUN A FREAKING RED LIGHT!!!
    ABSOLUTELY.

Cameras go where they are going to catch enough red light runners to make it viable. They do surveys beforehand to look at the timing of lights and traffic volumes. You can be sure that when a camera system goes up - that junction is going to make enough money to make a return on the investment.

For that exact same reason you can also be sure that those junctions are the most likely places in any town where you might be hit by a red-light runner. That's the point of GPS alerts on a GPS sat nav or a dedicated GPS red-light camera detector. Having a safety reminder in advance of these dangerous locations is a good idea. That way you can make sure you're as prepared as possible for an idiot coming the other way through the lights or can watch out for the joker behind who's way too close. If you've been distracted for any reason (music, callphone, friends, kids, daydreaming, etc, etc,) you can re-focus so you don't make a mistake. Avoiding tickets is a bonus!

Radar Fanatic

Just in the past 2 days I've seen 3 RLC on the ground NOT listed on the official Toronto site
    Cities often tend to be slow at updating their websites. Some are better than others. What intersections have you seen them at?
    Wilson Heights/Sheppard W
    Wilson/Transit Rd (just west of Wilson Heights)
    Steeles E/Brimley (seen the RLC for over 8 months now)

And thanks a lot for the detailed answers to my previous concerns

Radar Fanatic

NEVER EVER RUN A FREAKING RED LIGHT!!!
    ABSOLUTELY.

Cameras go where they are going to catch enough red light runners to make it viable. They do surveys beforehand to look at the timing of lights and traffic volumes. You can be sure that when a camera system goes up - that junction is going to make enough money to make a return on the investment.

For that exact same reason you can also be sure that those junctions are the most likely places in any town where you might be hit by a red-light runner. That's the point of GPS alerts on a GPS sat nav or a dedicated GPS red-light camera detector. Having a safety reminder in advance of these dangerous locations is a good idea. That way you can make sure you're as prepared as possible for an idiot coming the other way through the lights or can watch out for the joker behind who's way too close. If you've been distracted for any reason (music, callphone, friends, kids, daydreaming, etc, etc,) you can re-focus so you don't make a mistake. Avoiding tickets is a bonus!
    Did you mean AUDIO alerts??? So far I'm getting no audio alerts for the RLC POIs on my Garmin 350, I put all 40 RLC locations in the Garmin's 'Favorite' folder, all I'm getting is a small blue flag for each RLC intersection and nothing more... maybe that's all this model can do, so far I have got no time to call Garmin and inquire about this very issue...

Professional

Voice alerts identifying the type of camera system, PSL and an overspeed alert if you're going to quickly all come from the Cheetah GPSmirror.

You should be able to find a setting on your Garmin that will at least give you a tone alert. I don't have a garmin so I can't advise any more. I would however suggest going to their website and finding a bit of software called Garmin "POI loader" - that'll make your life a bit easier.

Thanks for the intersection info - I'll pass it onto my database team to check we have it already. That's what all this is about - sharing info. Appreciate it.