Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Red Light Cameras

I just returned from Arizona for the New Year's. We were traveling south on Alma School Road at Guadalupe and we(my friend was the driver) got our picture taken at a green light. I have heard that Arizona has the red light cameras that also give out speeding tickets. However, this intersection was not listed. Anyhow here are my questions:

1. What do red light cameras use to determine your presense? There is one close to my house and it does not alert me to any radar.

2. Do these combination intersections in Arizona use radar for speed?

Thanks

Experienced

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1...7C31885%7C.asp

explains it, for speed they simply tiem how long it takes your vehicle to travel between the zones

chris
    www.navalert.com
    red light camera detectors.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Red Light Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80
    I just returned from Arizona for the New Year's. We were traveling south on Alma School Road at Guadalupe and we(my friend was the driver) got our picture taken at a green light. I have heard that Arizona has the red light cameras that also give out speeding tickets. However, this intersection was not listed. Anyhow here are my questions:

1. What do red light cameras use to determine your presense? There is one close to my house and it does not alert me to any radar.

2. Do these combination intersections in Arizona use radar for speed?

Thanks
    1) Happy New Year... I will always remember my 2001 Christmas/New Year beautifully spent in the Grand Canyon State, I wish I can go down there more often and not just for the weather
    2) Up here in Toronto we now have over 20 maybe 30 RLCs each and everyone mounted at one specific intersection, so in total over 20 or 30 intersections with a RLC at one corner of that intersection... depends which corner of that particular intersection the RLC is mounted it will take pictures only to those traveling in front of the camera with the license plate (front and/or rear) fully visible to the camera... if you're mistakenly getting into the intersection on red but your front and/or rear-end of your car does not face the RLC, maybe you will get on camera but they (the RLC operators/analyzers) will ignore that particular photo (s) as no license plate was fully visible to the camera... RLC has nothing to do with any radar detection, only the front and/or rear plate and YOU running a RL will get you a RLC ticket in the mail... I've heard that in Toronto they mail you a copy of the ticket AND a copy of the RLC snap shots, about 2-4 snap shots with you getting into the intersection on red, inside the intersection on red and leaving the intersection on red as well... a RLC starts taking pictures in the very moment the light turns red so you MUST be FULLY (that means your entire MV, front-end to the very rear-end and this includes any trailer you might have with you, truckers are the only exception to this rule) inside the intersection when the light turns red in order to avoid getting a RLC ticket in the mail...
    About your other question with speed cameras located inside the very same RLC intersection, it's up to the local police dept to place the van inside any intersection they like or any place they like, there is no link btwn a RLC intersection (RLCs are permanent devices) and a speed camera van (mobile vans so mobile cameras)...
    Also about RLC, up here in Toronto all RLC intersections have a large and specific warning sign (a traffic light with a red color on top followed by a smaller sign bellow saying in plain English 'Red Light Camera Intersection') posted about 100 ft before the intersection at all 4 corners of that particular RLC intersection regardless which corner the RLC is installed so it's very easy to know where you have a RLC in place...

Radar Fanatic

Also if you have a GPS device in your car you can input all RLC intersections... I just got my brand-new Garmin 350 and still learning all its great features, one of them is 'Adding Additional POIs", RLC for instance, and then let Jill (or Jack for guys loving guys :wink: ) warn you when you're approaching a RLC intersection 8)

Advanced Member

Thx for the explanation.

You might find this useful

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=61154

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf
    Thx for the explanation.

You might find this useful

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=61154
    Thank you but I've already finished putting all 37 Toronto RLCs into my GPS (My Favs), now I'm curious how Jill will alert me while approaching each and everyone :!:

http://www.toronto.ca/transportation.../locations.htm

Also something very interesting about Ontario law on RLC:

http://www.torontotraffictickets.com/redlight.html

Advanced Member

Theres two files in that one RLC the other common speedtaps. Outside of my usual driving area its been helpful

Good Citizen

It is against common sense to run red lights, I've nearly been hit at least 5 or 6 times by red light runners over the years, and in 3 of those instances I have gone out of my way to follow the vehicle, take down the license plate information, description of the driver, and in one case the address of the driver who happened to live a couple of blocks from me, then report these info to the local police, the police have followed up in each and every time to issue a warning to the driver.

Running a red light is just plain stupid, I have respect for those other drivers I share the road with, and would never consider running a red light regardless if there is a RLC or not.

I am all for Red Light Cameras!

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by kl
    It is against common sense to run red lights, I've nearly been hit at least 5 or 6 times by red light runners over the years, and in 3 of those instances I have gone out of my way to follow the vehicle, take down the license plate information, description of the driver, and in one case the address of the driver who happened to live a couple of blocks from me, then report these info to the local police, the police have followed up in each and every time to issue a warning to the driver.

Running a red light is just plain stupid, I have respect for those other drivers I share the road with, and would never consider running a red light regardless if there is a RLC or not.

Just as long as the city/RLC company doesn't shorten the duration of the yellow lights for the pure sake of revenue generation, and not safety.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by kl

Me too... and I HATE those running red lights :twisted: but in this very thread we are not discussing the reason (all very wrong!!!) for running RLs :wink:

And right here a better explanation when you WILL get or NOT get a RLC ticket in the mail:

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/res...&itemId=400001

"The cameras photograph vehicles that enter the intersection after the traffic signal turns red. The camera only captures the vehicle and not the driver. The fine for running a red light is $190. A violation notice is mailed to the address of the owner of the vehicle captured by the camera. If a driver is already within the intersection to complete a left turn and the signal turns red before the driver can clear the intersection, this is not considered running a red light."

Mississauga is a suburb of Toronto...