Default Hardwiring X50 (unique question)

I'd like to hardwire the X50 for the next couple weeks, but don't have the kit. My question is if the V1's direct-wire connection will properly power the X50. I tested the V1's direct-wire with a multimeter and found the middle 2 pins had 12 volts, and ground. However, with the X50's cigarette lighter adapter, the middle two pins are also 12 volts and ground, but the outer pins also have a voltage. Something like 6volts I believe. I'm wondering if this is just a constant voltage that is for alert communication and mute, or if something else. I want to see if anyone knows specifics before I burn up the X50 by only feeding it the middle pins 12 volts. Thanks.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Hardwiring X50 (unique question)

Quote Originally Posted by erobinson
    I'd like to hardwire the X50 for the next couple weeks, but don't have the kit. My question is if the V1's direct-wire connection will properly power the X50. I tested the V1's direct-wire with a multimeter and found the middle 2 pins had 12 volts, and ground. However, with the X50's cigarette lighter adapter, the middle two pins are also 12 volts and ground, but the outer pins also have a voltage. Something like 6volts I believe. I'm wondering if this is just a constant voltage that is for alert communication and mute, or if something else. I want to see if anyone knows specifics before I burn up the X50 by only feeding it the middle pins 12 volts. Thanks.
    Ok, I've got no idea of what I'm saying here, but if the pinouts are different on the two detectors, but they both use a phone type cable to supply power, you could buy one of those little boxes that lets you connect one line to another line, pop open the box, cross over the cables appropriately, then use it when nessesary....

Default Re: Hardwiring X50 (unique question)

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster
    Quote Originally Posted by erobinson
    Ok, I've got no idea of what I'm saying here, but if the pinouts are different on the two detectors, but they both use a phone type cable to supply power, you could buy one of those little boxes that lets you connect one line to another line, pop open the box, cross over the cables appropriately, then use it when nessesary....
    That WOULD work, if it was the other way around. I.e. X50 has the hardwire, and I want to plug the V1 into it's harness. Because, then I could simply cut the outer pins inside the adapter, and reverse polarity on the middle two (if necessary), to get the 12 volts I need. But, the V1 direct wire only has voltage (from what I can tell), on the middle two pins, so there isn't anyway to get the proper voltage (because it is lower) to the outer pins. Good idea though.