Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes S550

Yoda of Radar

Default Mercedes S550

So, I was cruising down the freeway and got a K band 24.220 hit. No biggie, since CHP uses only Stalker Ka and laser. But it wouldn't go away, so I slow down for a while. It goes away, so I speed up again. Then, I get it again. Must be ahead of me(shut up V1 guys, I can already hear you coming ), and it's getting stronger and stronger. I pass this S550 and it goes away. It's coming from him. I do a couple of circles around this dude(he probably thinks I'm a nut) looking for a RD or something. Nuthin'. Any ideas? Cruise control?

Good Citizen

Most likely adaptive cruise control, which uses sensors in the grille to detect cars in front, therefore it will speed up and slow down accordingly. My guess would be that it uses laser though, not K band.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by tiger17
    Most likely adaptive cruise control, which uses sensors in the grille to detect cars in front, therefore it will speed up and slow down accordingly. My guess would be that it uses laser though, not K band.
    Definitely K band(24.220), not laser. I spent about 15 min with this vehicle, before I got bored.

Radar Fanatic

Yeah i have seen it a few times. It only getting more and ore common on cars.

Radar Fanatic

it is officially called (or at least was on top gear): radar guided cruise control

my guess is since radar is in the name it uses radar. you just set a max speed and a distance aprox and it speeds up and slows down for you. i've always wanted to try it in bumper to bumper traffic to see how nice it is.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger17
    Definitely K band(24.220), not laser. I spent about 15 min with this vehicle, before I got bored.
    It definatly was radar. What I was trying to say was I would think it would be laser.

I have it on my E class but I rarely use it, to much to worry about (crashing into car, right distance, speed etc).

This is from mbusa.com "Distronic adaptive cruise control uses radar to monitor the vehicle ahead and adjusts your speed to help maintain your selected following distance."

Experienced

I encountered the very same thing next to an S600 at a light the other day.

Old Timer

This phenomenon has been called "the 24-GHz problem" - and was first brought to our collective attention quite a while ago. I believe that the first mention of this interference problem was actually several months previous to this post/blog by The VEIL Guy, which itself dates to May of this year:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...&highlight=ghz

Subsequently, there have been many confirmations of many different (typically high-end European) vehicles causing such falsing:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...&highlight=ghz

Stealthed Like a B-2

tiger I don't like you (jk), but seriously though your too rich... An SL65!!! All the cars in my sig are not true, for those to be true I would have to be a multi-millionare, I just have a crappy car and don't feel like putting it in my sig.. haha

so will these systems set off the Spectre that the LEO use? if so that would be real annoying to own a car with one in VA if it caused the LEO to think you had an RD.