Professional

Default Question about running two detectors at once..

Okay, I know you're not supposed to do it due to interference, but does it affect the performance of the detectors? Or can it just cause false alerts? Because I want to run my old XRS-9930 compared to my V995 and see the range difference etc. I know there's no long term harm done, but does doing that hinder their performance while running them together?

Power User

Yeah, don't run them together. Even if they don't visually alert to each other , they are probably tracking each other's emissions to avoid spewing false alerts. This could mask up or reduce response speed to a real alert.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Yes, it can hinder performance (reduced range or completely blocked alerts).
    With maybe the expection of running 2 Bel STi's together, that should be ok since they don't leak RF (or hardly any RF). I run 2 STi's side by side and haven't had trouble yet. I run one with TEC mode and the other in THT mode so I can see multiple threats and the frequency at the same time. As long as they don't interfere with each other, I decrease my chances of missing an instant on burst. I have already had situations when 1 STi picked up an instant on burst from far away and the other one didn't and vice versa. I'm pretty confident 2 STi's don't interfere with each other as some VERY knowledgeable people have confirmed this for me.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    With maybe the expection of running 2 Bel STi's together, that should be ok since they don't leak RF (or hardly any RF).
    Logically I expect this to be the only safe combination.
    I'm pretty confident 2 STi's don't interfere with each other as some VERY knowledgeable people have confirmed this for me.
    Unless they have JTAGs or other ways to debug the firmware/runtime of both units, they're guessing too

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Unless they have JTAGs or other ways to debug the firmware/runtime of both units, they're guessing too
    Maybe some of the people I have talked to have a lab available to them. :wink:

Newcomer

what the GOL says makes sense to me:
    "What about the BEL STi Driver?

People frequently ask the question: since the BEL STi Driver does not "leak" then it shouldn't interfere with another detector, right? Actually, the BEL STi does technically still "leak". However, the leakage is so low that there is no detection from today's RDDs (Spectre).

Consider the following facts:

* Compared with today's high-end radar detectors, Spectre isn't all that sensitive: it uses the same receiver as cheap "Quintezz" radar detectors sold overseas.

* The normal operating range for Spectre is well beyond the separation you would have when operating two detectors in the same vehicle.

So, could there be a problem with operating a radar detector which is more sensitive than Spectre at a distance which is much closer to the STi than the normal operating range for Spectre? We have posed this question to some of the brightest minds in the industry, but there's no clear-cut yes or no answer. The STi still has the potential to interfere.

Can other detectors interfere with the STi? Definitely. "