Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Question about Ka

Is Ka just a short notice/little bleed band or something? I encountered it twice tonight, both times I had more than enough time to slow down (well, one time I had no need, but the other time I had to slow down from 85-90 to 55 - there's a 2 mile spot of 55mph between 70mph zones for no good reason), but not much more than enough. Granted both times were not ideal situations (I'll explain), but I'm curious because my V1 has a scuff on the cover of the front detector, and I wonder if it reduces range (it seems like my rear antenna might actually be more sensitive, at least it picks up more falses). Anyways, here are the situations

1 - I'm coming off of an off ramp from I-77 North (I think it was exit 52). This ramp starts low and goes up, and once you crest it becomes flat, then goes up again). About 2 seconds as a slow speed (maybe 20 and slowing a stop pace) before I crest I get 5 Ka lights (I have it on more responsive mode) and sure enough, when I crest I see a cop car (local) had just pulled over a Mitsu Lancer (didn't look like a trap, just bad luck). I make my left like I was planning too, but then decide to turn around and test things out, only by then he had his radar off. Granted the cop had the radar detector pointing directly away from me, but I would have liked more notice.

2 - I'm back on I-77, this time Southbound, and I'm driving along in a 70, it becomes a 55 but I keep my 70 zone pace of 85-90. I'm at the bottom of a hill and I start going up. About, I dunno half way up I get a 5 bar Ka warning. I know half way up means nothing, so let's just say it's enough for me to comfortably, quickly but still comfortably, slow down from about 90 to 55. I crest the hill and I see a NC state trooper there not on the crest but below it by a little bit getting cars at the crest with his radar at the back window (I'm assuming back window cause I got a full on when I was a bit from his back window). I'm not complaining cause the V1 saved my butt big time, but I'm just wondering is this is typical? Also, once I was about a car length or 2 past him, the dector went silent. Do Ka radar guns have very little bleed out the back of them?
    Richard

Old Timer

I was under the impression that KA does not spread as well as K or X. So it is harder to detect

Speed Demon

I see, so basically when I get Ka I should hit the brakes immediatley? Oh, I should add, that state tropper, not only was he after a hill with his lights off at nighttime, but since it was overcast and what all it was completely pitch black where he was. If I hadn't known to look for him, I would have never seen him until he turned on his lights, not even 5 feet away.
    Richard

Old Timer

The falses on KA are minimal. Whenever I get a KA- I always hit my brakes.

Advanced Member

Because of the wavelength, Ka only requires a small antenna to "concentrate" the beam, where X and K would require much larger antennas to achieve the same results. Of course, smaller antennas are preferred in the police cruisers...

Jim

Speed Demon

But so are my experiences typical? And could the scuff on the plastic thing that covers the front sensor (you know, the red plastic like on an old tv remote) be affecting my range?
    Richard

Speed Demon

Marlin, go here and make your V1's Ka lights and sounds more responsive:

http://valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

Program the #5 to the arrow pointing down and your lights and sounds on the V1 will give you a greater sense of urgency to hit the brakes.

Speed Demon

That's what I did (which I'm guessing is why I started off with 5 lights, not 1 or 2), but what I'm wondering is is that range typical with Ka (i.e. enough to slow down and a little bit more, but not much more)?
    Richard

Banned

hmm it sounds like pop tho because he gets 5bars that fast ????

Speed Demon

I have programming mode 5 on, i.e. more sensitive. I think it's because I was coming up a hill both times, so I'm not high enough to detect it until I'm close to it. Honestly, I wouldn't have asked if it weren't for those light scratches and one little scuff on the "lens" (don't know what else to call it).
    Richard