Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default What do Radar Detectors hold for the future?

i was thinking today on the drive home from work, "what more can radar detectors implement in the future to assist us users?" unfortunately, other than GPS, which is already being implemented i could not come up with anything further. is it possible that there is and will be nothing else short of GPS abilities to include on future detectors? i mean, feasibly, what else could there really be? what further advancements can be made?

Radar Fanatic

well id like to see a detector that is a fuse between a V1 and has the features of belscorts like frequency display. Also, more more more range.. espesically on 35.5 Ka which many detectors lack. Everybody want RANGE but less less falsing.

I dont think there is more that they can do. It is as limited as the radar technology itself is.

Were going to need a portable Aviation radar scanner to fight off VASCAR aviation as well. ahha thatd be cool.

Power User

Default Re: What do Radar Detectors hold for the future?

Quote Originally Posted by acura_driver
    i was thinking today on the drive home from work, "what more can radar detectors implement in the future to assist us users?" unfortunately, other than GPS, which is already being implemented i could not come up with anything further. is it possible that there is and will be nothing else short of GPS abilities to include on future detectors? i mean, feasibly, what else could there really be? what further advancements can be made?
    AN OPEN API, OR AN OPEN PLATFORM -- I've got millions of ideas of how to interface various other devices with my detector, or even just to fool around with their firmware to tweak it to my likings. That's the next thing that will motivate me to immediately purchase a detector. Until then, no thanks, not another penny out of my wallet on a detector.

Lead Foot

A detector that can pick up laser guns and IO radar before they are turned on.

Not possible I'm sure, but a guy can dream.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by justin81

lol i could just imagine the falsing there :roll:

Yoda of Radar

I remember from an earlier thread about this exact subject, that someone has a patent on linking RD's together. Then your RD can warn you about a 35.5 Ka hit 11.2 miles ahead. How sweet would that be?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by justin81

Sorry but I laughed at your post and at myself, in a good way...it is scientifically impossible to detect IO before it is transmitted. But I will admit that I thought of it myself before I read your post

Good Citizen

I remember someone saying that some police forces are looking into GPS units for their squad cars so dispatch can track and direct them easier. Radar detector companies would soon catch on and there would be a whole new fleet of RD's in no time.

Lead Foot

This is probably a given as it is happening already, but I would imagine that more detectors will be invisible to the Spectre technology in the coming years. So much so that the $80 Radio Shack detectors and Crapras will eventually be boasting about this feature.

Radar Fanatic

take the 9500i one step further: Have it upload all radar encounters to a database, and then inform detector users of a certain signal strength at an area, or alert them prior to a laser encounter.

Also, I completely agree with jdong. An open api would be great.... I can just imagine all the fun I would toying with that.....