Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Newcomer

Default what do you say when cops ask you how fast you were going?

I got pulled over last night. The cop chased me down because "you came tearin through here so loud, it caught my attention." He asked how fast I was going, and I said "I think i had the cruise set at 63", knowing I was going much faster, I said a number that I didnt think would earn me a ticket. So he writes me a ticket for 63 in a 55. I asked him what he had clocked me at, and he said "oh I didnt clock you at anything, your exhaust caught my attention, but you were honest and told me you were speeding."

From the time I saw him flyin up on me to when he told me he didnt get me on radar, I was wondering what the hell happened, because my V1 didn't make a peep.

So what SHOULD I be telling a cop when he asks me how fast I was going?

Speedtrap Crasher

Generally speaking you can handle most questions with another question.

How fast were you going?
    How fast did you clock me?

Why are you in such a rush?
    Why do you think I'm in a rush?

That said if your plainly in violation of the limit feel free to just maintain your silence. The side of the road is not a court of law.

"No disrespect, But I don't have a comment to make at this time officer. Sorry"
    Project "BONES" Speed Lab:
    Valentine One, Blinder M47 "All Front Configuration"
    Pro97 Police Scanner
    1 Saves / 3 Strikes as of 8/22/2009
    Estimated saves in U.S. Dollars: $200

Newcomer

well, I'm thinking because he didnt actually clock me doing any speed, i'm going to appear on the court date and explain that I wasnt sure what my cruise was set at, and to top it off, the offsize tires on my jeep messed with my spedo, and is actually reading a few mph higher than actual speed.

Next time I get pulled, I dont think i'll be telling him anything.

Speedtrap Crasher

I would show up. If he didn't clock you there's a chance he might "no show"

I had a ticket for 59 in a 55 and I was so shocked I literally said "your kidding me? 4 over the PSL? That's ridiculous." So I basically admitted I was speeding. That officer "no showed" when I took it to court.

In general avoid saying anything incriminating.
    Pro97 Police Scanner

Radar Fanatic

yeah you are better off not saying what speed you were doing. you will just hang yourself if you do.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by erickonphoenix
    Generally speaking you can handle most questions with another question.

How fast were you going?
    How fast did you clock me?

Why are you in such a rush?
    Why do you think I'm in a rush?

That said if your plainly in violation of the limit feel free to just maintain your silence. The side of the road is not a court of law.

"No disrespect, But I don't have a comment to make at this time officer. Sorry"
    Sort of like 'Are you aware of what the speed limit is here?'
    -Too high: You were speeding because you were wrong about the speed limit
    -Too low: You were not paying attention
    -Right: You were aware of how fast you should have been going and were intentionally violating.

The best way to handle questions are to refrain from answering, because you can never be right and only serve to incriminate yourself.

Radar Fanatic

I say "Yes I do."

Never admit your speed if it is over the posted speed limit. The cop will make a note that you admitted your guilt and you will lose 99% of the time in court. Even admitting 1 mph over gives the judge everything he needs to find you guilty. If you don't admit your guilt, all the burden of proof is on the prosecution.

My last ticket in July went like this:

Cop: "Do you know how fast you were going?"

Me: "Yes I do."

Cop: "How fast?"

Me: "I don't want to say."

Cop: "100 MPH?" [Here he threw out an outrageous number to try and get me to admit to a lower number, tricky bastard.]

Me: "I was not going anywhere near 100."

Cop: "Are you sure?"

Me: "Yes."

In this case the cop wrote me up for 80 in a 60, saying he was giving me a break, LOL. For the record my speed was 79 when I saw the cop, hit the breaks and looked at the speedo (I stupidly did not have my detector hooked up :shock.

I won the Trial By Declaration with a case dismissed due to lack of prosecution, but I probably would have won it anyway since 22350's using radar in California are so easy to beat. The one thing that will hang you every time is if the cop writes a note that you admitted your speed ... in which case it won't matter how good your defense is.

-Obsidian-

Lead Foot

Question about this: what if they DON'T ask? Last time I got pulled over the cop made no attempt to ask me any questions other than to ask for my license and registration. She then said "I got you doing 80" (in a 65) and went back to her car with my stuff and came back with the ticket. I must admit I was surprised at how formulaic and quick it all seemed. I have been stopped in the past and had cops ask all sort of BS questions like "where were you coming from?" and "where are you headed?" and that sort of thing. But, what is the best strategy if the cop says or asks practically NOTHING?

Newcomer

Through experiences just like yours and doing ride alongs with the cops, IMO the best way to handle ANY situation with the police is to LIE LIE LIE. (unless you suck at lying, than I guess be honest)

I would have said "55 Officer". If he happens to say he clocked you higher, just say "really? I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was going that fast!" Golly gee! Rule 1: Never admit to knowingly doing anything illegal.

If you dont say anything, they usually don't know anything. That is generally why they are asking questions to begin with, they are gathering a case. Never volunteer any info you don't have to.

There are a variety of ways to handle it, and they all have their drawbacks. I have found that lying is best. I have been honest, and been burned MANY times. I started out telling the truth with Police, but now who taught me its just better to lie? The Police did!

Speedtrap Crasher

Quote Originally Posted by justin81
    Question about this: what if they DON'T ask? Last time I got pulled over the cop made no attempt to ask me any questions other than to ask for my license and registration. She then said "I got you doing 80" (in a 65) and went back to her car with my stuff and came back with the ticket. I must admit I was surprised at how formulaic and quick it all seemed. I have been stopped in the past and had cops ask all sort of BS questions like "where were you coming from?" and "where are you headed?" and that sort of thing. But, what is the best strategy if the cop says or asks practically NOTHING?
    Yeah, my last two tickets were like that. And quick too. My last ticket took a whopping 5 minutes to process. The LEO had a handheld printer, swiped my license like a credit card then printed out the ticket.
    Pro97 Police Scanner