Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default Are there really 12 bands out there?

Cobra advertises that it's detectors detect 12 bands. Do police use 12 different bands? I thought there were only 3 bands in use. X, K, Ka and 1 laser band. They also say their cobra detectors detect 2 types of Ka bands which is Ka and Superwide Ka. Any truth to this?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Are there really 12 bands out there?

Quote Originally Posted by rose1
    Cobra advertises that it's detectors detect 12 bands. Do police use 12 different bands? I thought there were only 3 bands in use. X, K, Ka and 1 laser band. They also say their cobra detectors detect 2 types of Ka bands which is Ka and Superwide Ka. Any truth to this?
    No, they count each laser gun as a different band. I think they break down Ka into seperate bands also.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    You are correct. Cobra just advertises them like this for marketing purposes.
    If thats the case, that is false advertising. Someone should do something about this. They are misleading people so they can make more sales.

Lead Foot

If thats the case, that is false advertising. Someone should do something about this. They are misleading people so they can make more sales.
    They misled people when they said their units detected radar

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0mizer
    They misled people when they said their units detected radar
    lol, I had a cobra xrs9400 and drove by a trooper doing 94 in a 65. The cobra remained absolutely quiet. Not a single sound. Even if it beeped late, I would have at least been able to get off the next exit and park in a gas station for an hour! The cop said "It took me 10 minutes just to catch up to you"!

Old Timer

I don't think it's technically false advertising. It's just very misleading. Their definition of "band" is skewed.

There are 12 bands -- if you count the three radar bands and then start adding to the list all of the local high school bands in your area. Or possibly Cobra's 12 band radar detectors have 12 rubber bands inside to prevent the internals from rattling around.

Good Citizen

Last edited by lammy08; 05-31-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Or maybe Cobra forgot to put a comma between 1 and 2 in "12". Thus Cobras detect the Ka radar band plus the two older X and K radar bands.