I nodoubtedly came across this site after I received my first speeding ticket ever, 15 years without a moving violation, guess my time was up.
Well, that being said I'd like to stop kicking myself for throwing the first and only radar detector I ever owned (radio shack model with plug in lazer eyeball). I know, probably better off without it, needless to say it did help but for some reason I just threw it away and never looked back.
After reading/researching throughout this website/forums, talking to Roy, I've got a few questions still and this could probably be due to all the mis-information floating all over the web.
I have narrowed my brand choices down to BEL/Escort (They are probably the same company I have also read)
1. I see radar detector companies advertising software revisions yet I read that people are sending them in for these revisions, you can't download and flash the radar detector?
2. I have been reading that people who buy radar detectors can get different software revisions and some are better than others, how do I know I will get the latest and greatest? Expanding on that question further, what are the reasons for the revisions, increased sensitivity etc?
3. I've seen many radar detectors that advertise 360 of protection/detection etc, I saw a valentine one that has the same thing but it looks like the "horn" as many have called it also faces the rear. Does the Escort 8500 x50 or 9500o or RX65 offer rear radar detection?
4. How long do radar detectors last, meaning with all the talk of revisions, updates etc, how long can I expect either a Escort 8500 x50, 9500i or RX65 to last, considering the initial investment up front?
5. Sensitivity is the other concern I have read with people here, along with false alarms etc. Some preach the Valentine One is the best, other's the 9500i, then others complain stating the 9500i is flawed with issues, then other say the 8500 x50 and 9500i have the same sensitivity you just pay for more bells/whistles etc. You can see now how confused I am with all this.
So, if someone would like to take a stab at this, I feel I've taken up enough of Roy's time in regards to question asking so I figure'd I would throw myself to the wolves so to speak and go from there.
Thanks for reading.