Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LIDAR facts

Speed Demon

the actual laser beam is square
    *Johnny Carson voice*

I did not know that.

The big post was most interesting too. Such as the jammer recognizing the LIDAR gun and using a lookup table to send the best response. As the jammer already knows the gun, I wonder how much added expense it would be to the system for manufacturers to add a small display to the jammer device and show the name of the LIDAR gun being used. Though it might freak out some LEOs who decide to pull you over anyway and you tell them what hardware they're using.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by zr1
    the actual laser beam is square
    *Johnny Carson voice*

I did not know that.
    If you've got the time to burn, search around a bit here for various hobbyists' IR videos of police LIDAR, projected "on vehicle."

Cool stuff.

Advanced Member

As the jammer already knows the gun, I wonder how much added expense it would be to the system for manufacturers to add a small display to the jammer device and show the name of the LIDAR gun being used. Though it might freak out some LEOs who decide to pull you over anyway and you tell them what hardware they're using.
    Laser Interceptor tells you the gun with the voice alert...

Suf Daddy

Default UPDATED

Nearly most of this info is on here in one way or shape. Even the manufacturers spec sheets list most of what you are asking for.

Jim is the radar pro but I can tell you that "typical" 12 degree is generally correct (at least with K band). That why the LIDAR guns claim "pin point accuracy" while its NOT pin point.

Comparatively, its far better, 3 feet than 212 feet @ 1,000

FDA governs LIDAR.

All traffic (so far) LIDAR is "square" its the mirror "slot" which the laser medium light escapes through. this is "focused by the optics to be a specific size at a specific distance.
    that "width" at X feet is calculated as milliradians.

Kustom / Laser craft, Stalker, LTI and Laser Atlanta is ~ 3 milliradians which works out to be 3' @ 1,000 feet.
    The Kustom / Laser craft (probably Pro I) and Pro II works out to be a tad BIGGER, like 4' @ 1,000 according to specs.

One item of note:

I have tested nearly all these guns and have the stacked laser diode array down to orientation.

Some go like: E, three horizontal rows
    the rest go like this III in vertical arrangement.

ONLY the Pro II (and I suspect the Pro "I" too) has a 45 degree tilt to its orientation, like this: ///

LASTLY: Because things are done as time of flight, the speed (in feet per sec) of the vehicle will dictate how fast or slow the return pulses are received. One manufacturer has gone to support its 1/3 sec speed reading at 60 MPH......... So in theory a slower vehicle *may* take longer, but a faster one -coming towards the gun- may seem quicker.

-Suf Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by TRDdave
    quick question, what is an average cross section of radar? I know different bands will have different cross sections, but I found on a radar re-sellers website that the spread of K-band from that particular gun was 12 degrees. I did the math, thats something like 210' from 1000' away. This seems awfully high, is this correct?

Experienced

Once again, thanks guys!

Old Timer

Cool stuff, Suf!!! Thanks!

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    As the jammer already knows the gun, I wonder how much added expense it would be to the system for manufacturers to add a small display to the jammer device and show the name of the LIDAR gun being used. Though it might freak out some LEOs who decide to pull you over anyway and you tell them what hardware they're using.
    Laser Interceptor tells you the gun with the voice alert...
    Aren't each type of laser gun like 6 of Cobra's bands?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80
    Aren't each type of laser gun like 6 of Cobra's bands?
    Yep...