Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Confused about laser

This morning I was driving down a a large road, 3 lanes each direction. I start to get a laser alert with my pro 78 and I'm think to myself, pfft another false like always...Well I continue another few hundred feet down the road and a Leo car was going the opposite direction. Was he using laser while driving? This has happen before... One time I was driving next to a state cruiser, neck and neck, and my laser was going off the whole time (a mile or so).

Experienced

From my understanding the laser has to be aimed rather precisely. I cannot imagine driving with the gun on would be easy to aim. I could see him aiming straight or something if it was mounted but not into oncoming traffic. To be honest I do not even know if laser can be used while moving.

Speed Demon

Laser is only stationary. Can't be used to measure speed while moving.

Professional

They don't have mobile laser (yet).

However,
    there is a post here that CJ or MEM-TEK one posted showing a new stalker radar unit. The unit comes with what looks to be an IR TV type remote control, maybe the cop had one of those and was fussing with his stalker via the remote control.

Airports are what I get fasle laser alerts from, if you were near an airport this would be normal according to many people around here.

Advanced Member

People have suggested other devices on a patrol car could cause laser false alerts. One of these devices is an automated system for checking license plates as an officer drives by, this system does use infrared but it has not been confirmed if these actuially cause laser falses or not.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    People have suggested other devices on a patrol car could cause laser false alerts. One of these devices is an automated system for checking license plates as an officer drives by, this system does use infrared but it has not been confirmed if these actuially cause laser falses or not.
    That's some cool technology in use there. There is a show on TruTV or A&E or something that has the parking ticket cops driving around with one of those. TV was just on in the background and I kept hearing that tone you get when Outlook is telling you that you have mail.

It was the TV, their alert was making the sound every time they'd drive by a car that had outstanding parking tickets. Maybe because the cars were parked, but it looked like they had to drive insanely slow for the thing to work, like < 3mph, still extremely interesting to see it though and pretty slick stuff for them to have (bad for us though if we have unpaid parking tickets).

Radar Fanatic

We have such type of cruisers up here in Toronto, what do you want, very high taxes bring lots of money into the local gov pockets :roll: so they got the money to order anything on the planet, those cruisers look like some vehicles used on a different planet, regardless I have not got any false laser alert from those type of cruisers, the only time I've got a false laser alert was down in the States around some local airports with large sat antennas very close to the road, I can recall Buffalo and Cincinnati, also one time in Toronto at a intersection where I've been milion of times, out of the blue the laser went beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, looked around and just one garbage truck belonging to our city hall, what a ****

Experienced

Wow that crazy, never heard of that.

Unfortunately laser is used pretty much all the time in orange county and rarely laser so RDs are becoming pretty much obsolete where I live, and laser jammers are illegal. I'm debating buying a V1, but idk if I should spend the money if everything is becoming laser.

Radar Fanatic

phiberglass I know what you are talking about. Like 3 years ago there was no CHP with lidar guns and now with the grant from last year every other officer and their mother has a lidar gun. CHP might switch to exclusive lidar for stationary and Ka for mobile from how much change has happened in the last two years.

Sure jammers are illegal but if I ever have the money I'll get one. That and I'll probably wait until I get a different car. My current car is goldish colored which is quite bright. I think laser jammers wouldn't work to well since you need a dark colored car essentially.

Professional

Seems most people using jammers currently in California get away with it by either not buying a jammer that JTG's, or having the ability to turn off their jammers once they get a laser alert and slow down before not allowing the thing to Jam To Gun and make it obvious what they are doing.

If I ran into heavy laser use you better believe I'd get a jammer. Legal or otherwise, I'd just be very careful about how carried away with using it I got though.