Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default K band radar units mounted on poles, what are they used for?

Hello,

Good to be back haven't been on here in a while!

It would be great if anyone has any info on these things they are very annoying. I came across them late last year so they are fairly new. I get full blasts of K-band and the RX65 reads them as POP and flashes K...... They are mounted on the top of call box poles every other one I guess In Ventura along the 101 both north and south bounds. They are extremely annoying, and my guess is that they monitor the speed of traffic. I have tried to lock them all out on the 9500i but every now and then one slips through. Can anyone shine some light on these?

I got a flat tire and ended up right in front of one. The tow trucks lights help get a good picture.

Yoda of Radar

Supposedly, they are traffic monitors that post your speed on those online traffic monitor systems like sigalert.com.

Experienced

I have those around me in california (Orange County) but have never gotten an alert from those. I always though it was just a solar panel and receiver/booster/antenna for those call boxes.

Professional

They have one of those things on I80 West just after you have crossed Donner Pass coming down that side of the mountain before getting into the Roseville area.

I was wondering myself what that thing was sending out a K band false in the middle of no where like that.

That answer works for me, I was always afraid maybe it was some kind of Alien spacecraft signaling device, made me nervous just driving by it.

You know they are everywhere trying to get you, you know that don't you. I'll bet (though can't prove it) they use K band roadside boxes just like that to lure you in.

Radar Fanatic

A lot of posts on this tonight, As far as the 9500i locking these out I do not believe it would work as the shots last less than 3-sec and are very random (approx 20-sec apart) which puts the 9500i in a different spot every time.
    The only way to tolerate these K band drones with a traditional RD is to shut K band off as the drone shot is over before automute has a chance to work.
    With a V1 you have the option of 8-LED regular K band automuting like Duke and I am using, works so sweet.
    Logic mode you watch the shot on the LED's completely muted.
    Advanced logic mode automute is what I use.
    (basically K band off for 30-sec, no LED's or sound)
    Nice thing about this is my local LEO's use K band so switching to (A) mode or logic with the adjustable muted K band volume to override all K band muting is quick and easy.

http://www.radarbusters.com/radardevicesdataarticle.cfm

Areas drones are covered:
    http://www.speedinfo.com/04roads/roads-page01.html

Radar Fanatic

thanx V1 Dave for the speedinfo website.

well two of the twelve cities listed on that website are one where i live and one where i go to frequently.. it makes me feel

Professional

As far as the 9500i locking these out I do not believe it would work
    ?

I can correct your thoughts on this for you, the 9500i locks these false signals out just fine.

In some rare occasions (I've seen it one time) the frequency drifts on a false and you catch it again at a new frequency so its not recognized as a locked out signal. You simply just lock it out again and you have no more issues or concerns with it.

Shutting K band off thirty seconds on an alert from a K band source, switching L mode to A mode then redoing the whop a mah juba so it responds to the dip la ma deia and then undoing all of this "quickly" before you run into your next true K band LEO what in the F are you talking about?

Don't answer that last question please.

I don't even want to begin to understand that zombie talk, thats insanity.

You press the mute button on your 9500i 3 quick times.

Problem solved, false signal is locked out, K band still 100% running at full force and ready for action, doesn't get any easier than that.

Radar Fanatic

Shutting K band off thirty seconds on an alert from a K band source, switching L mode to A mode then redoing the whop a mah juba so it responds to the dip la ma deia and then undoing all of this "quickly" before you run into your next true K band LEO what in the F are you talking about?

my thoughts exactly!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Esoterica
    As far as the 9500i locking these out I do not believe it would work
    ?

I can correct your thoughts on this for you, the 9500i locks these false signals out just fine.

In some rare occasions (I've seen it one time) the frequency drifts on a false and you catch it again at a new frequency so its not recognized as a locked out signal. You simply just lock it out again and you have no more issues or concerns with it.

You press the mute button on your 9500i 3 quick times.

Problem solved, false signal is locked out, K band still 100% running at full force and ready for action, doesn't get any easier than that.
    It's not just one or two poles we are talking about, most major freeways in the area have them every few miles in each direction, my commute is approx 30 miles each way and then I drive for a living so I don't know what the 9500i lock out area covers.
    I believe you would be hitting three button muting sessions until you enhanced your carpal tunnel bel/scort zombie syndrome.

Thing is the very next day your hits will be in a different area as the partial to full tone shots are at random times with freeway speeds making your area greater or covering your whole commute.

Professional

I just use the speed adjustable alert in my Speedcheetah GPS mirror to deal with those things. If Im in an area with drones, I just lower the volume on my V1 and only receive audible alerts from the mirror above my preset speed. I still see the visual alert on the V1 and the mirror, but no noise. Or I can just reach up and turn down the main volume to match the muted volume.

Another option I can use isturning off the K band alert on the mirror and keeping the volume down low on the V1. I still get my laser and Ka alerts at full volume on the mirror, but K band alerts are muted. The GPS mirror rocks.