Newcomer

Default Super Cat SR400 Test

I recently landed a "Super Cat SR400" RD off eBay. I got it in the mail today, and eagerly opened the package. The previous owner has meticulously cared for this thing, and put it back in all the orignal packaging it came in. The box even had all the cardboard packing, and it is obviously an old detector.

It only detects X and K, no Ka, no laser. The instruction manual is quite good, has information on interpreting signals (only has audible ramp up, no visual). And has explanations of instant-on, etc.

As for the detector itself, it is tiny, and a very sleek looking design (I might be able to get some pics up later), but it doesn't weigh ANYTHING. Almost feels like an empty box. However, I know from Digital cameras, this doesn't really mean much...digital point and shoots are only heavy if the manufacturer intentionally adds weights, the electronics themselves don't weigh much at all, but since people think heavy is better and more sturdy, they weigh them down. So I wasn't concerned.

I decided that when I went out to get lunch I would go the very long way around, and head to a common local speed trap to give it a go, hoping there wasn't a LEO running Ka there. Well, as soon as I turn out of the driveway the tiny little Super Cat goes off. A couple seconds LATER....My RX75 joins in. :shock: Then an officer on an adjoining road turns on the road that I am pulling on to. I decide to pull a U-turn after both detectors have gone silent again, and run at him from behind.

This time around, the RX75 alerts first, by maybe 2 seconds. Much more what I expected. However, we later got seperated, and both detectors once again went silent. As I approached again, the Super Cat once again went off first. (Note: this is while being behind a windscreen with a metal treatment which allegedly cripples windshield mount detectors). Obviously this isn't a realistic defense today, detecting only X and K, but it is a sleek, attractive little $25 (shipped) detector, which held its own against a modern $1,100 remote mount detector at picking up K. Not too shabby, and much to my surprise.

Just thought someone on here might find this interesting.

Good Citizen

post a pic of this bad boy...

Yoda of Radar

The Kat sucks. Does the Super Kat, Super Suck?

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80
    The Kat sucks. Does the Super Kat, Super Suck?
    It isn't a Kat, an offshoot of RMR.

It is a Super Cat (with a C) and is old, was made by AK America, which seems to be defunct. Was made in Japan. Here are some pics:

Sorry about the picture quality, my camera is packed, so I just used my phone.

Radar Fanatic

That is one nice camera phone... how many megapixels?

Newcomer

haha, thanks. It's 1.3 Megapixels

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB
    haha, thanks. It's 1.3 Megapixels
    Mine is 1... but yours looks so much better... I guess mine is screwed up? lol I have dropped it about 300 times so I would not be supprised.

Nice mini detector.

Newcomer

mine is still fairly new, so the glass is in good shape. I am sure that after the 5 months of training I am leaving for tommorow, the glass on teh lens will be in terrible shape, and it will be taking equally horrible pictures.