Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default The designated rabbit - how much distance?

About how much distance should there be between you and your rabbit?

Newcomer

as far away as possible, just close enough to see his brake lights

Yoda of Radar

I try to give 1/4 to 1/2 mile, when possible.

Radar Fanatic

depends how thick traffic is. every once in a while I notice others following me 1/2 a mile back trying to keep up but rarely does anyone follow me for long because of traffic. *shrugs*

Old Timer

IMveryHO, there's no fixed answer.

As with bunny, I feel that this has to vary depending on surrouding conditions (traffic/weather/road), as well as may vary according to local enforcement practices.

Power User

If you have a good detector, I'd say around 1/2 mile or more, to the point that you should be able to barely see him in the distance as to figure out whether or not he's still ahead of you or took some exit and now you're exposed.

Remember your detector's doing the looking, not you, and following in the range of a rabbit where a cop can see you is not gonna do much good.

Lead Foot

I was curious what people's answers would be because I've heard two things on the subject. First, the greater the distance, the better chance you have of getting some advance warning of IO radar without being the target yourself. Second, the closer you are, the greater the chance you'll have of picking up "splash" from a lidar gun aimed at the vehicle ahead of you. I'm guessing that IO is the more manageable threat here. Better chance of picking that up when someone else is being targeted rather than laser. Any flaws in that thinking?

Yoda of Radar

While admittedly it's hard to follow a rabbit very long or hold him at a good distance with the dumbass traffic we get around here (zero lane discipline whatsoever), I definitely follow closer than that, more in the eighth to quarter mile range. The fact is, if they're using CO, I don't need the rabbit. The only purpose of a rabbit is to draw LIDAR and IO hits, and if I'm gonna pick those up, I don't want to be back half a mile. The WORST thing I can think of doing would be to follow a rabbit at 50% over the limit, let the rabbit get pinged while I'm way too far back to get the reading, and then zoom by LEO, never having slowed down, right as he's making his U-turn and getting ready to pursue the rabbit. Oh, look who's the most vulnerable target now...me!

With the rabbit closer in, I can pick up on the first hit, and even if that means he's gonna see me VERY soon after the rabbit, at least I'll be slowing down in that two seconds until he sees me, plus another two seconds to aim and get a reading.

Radar Fanatic

I drive in Oklahoma and from reading all the post in here its totally different from most of the other northern brothers. Running on the highway my rabbit changes regularly. I keep one in sight at the distance I like, catch him and pick another. Works for me,no tickets in years, the CB is a big help in OK, its wide open and truckers help alot.
    I don't see to many new post in the CB section, they are one of the best counter measures you can use.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by TSi+WRX
    IMveryHO, there's no fixed answer.

As with bunny, I feel that this has to vary depending on surrouding conditions (traffic/weather/road), as well as may vary according to local enforcement practices.

X2, My ideal amount varies by all the the aforementioned by TSi-WRX... I do always keep their brake-lights in my sight though.