Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default My trip through VA

So I drove from TN to southern MD today, most of which involved being in VA. I tried to turn my STi off (hardwired in visor holder, with whistler in other pocket as decoy), but somehow only managed to accidentally switch it to DARK mode. In any case, the number of LEOs out gunning was ridiculous. Within 20 miles of the TN/VA border, I had been hit by 1 I/O k band, 1 C/O K band, 1 C/O Ka (unmarked red sebring looking like it broke down, but actually LEO using rear stalker antenna), and 2 I/O Ka. I ran into several more k and ka bands later in VA but stopped counting. Is all this really necessary?

On the bright side, I did get to watch a cobra user get burned by a spectre. I was in a small group of cars going PSL due to traffic, and saw the unmarked Lumina playing with something on his windshield, next thing I know, he lights up one of the cars for no appearent reason. I had identified the cobra earlier, so I assumed that was what it was for. I also saw quite a few people with their RDs in plain view, none of which with high end models though.

Professional

Why would you want to turn off your STi?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Jabomb9
    It was a joke so I wouldn't have to post that I blatantly broke the VA law knowing that they are illegal.

What was it like in VA when you were driving through areas with fairly light traffic? Did traffic speed up to just under 80mph?

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    What was it like in VA when you were driving through areas with fairly light traffic? Did traffic speed up to just under 80mph?
    Yep, that exactly what happened. Except for a short period where a CLS55 AMG flew by. 3 cars, including myself used him as a rabbit for a short period before we lost our balls and went back to 79. Never saw him pulled over, so I guess he made it. Although I did see an alarming number of cars pulled over today.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by lennyo3034
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabomb9
    It was a joke so I wouldn't have to post that I blatantly broke the VA law knowing that they are illegal.
    Why not I do all the time. Just don't post your personal info. simple infraction with a $40 fine + processing fee, no points. Don't think you have to worry about posting you used one in VA. The amount of traps, i mean "speed monitoring" is a bit excessive in Virginia isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by lennyo3034
    Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Yep, that exactly what happened. Except for a short period where a CLS55 AMG flew by. 3 cars, including myself used him as a rabbit for a short period before we lost our balls and went back to 79. Never saw him pulled over, so I guess he made it. Although I did see an alarming number of cars pulled over today.
    And this is why, combined with the RD ban, VA has such a hard problem enforcing the PSL. If RDs were legal to use in VA then a half dozen patrol cars working a 20 mile stretch of road could easily, by their detected radar presence alone, slow down traffic to or close to the PSL. Instead a dozen patrol cars hide out in the woods and only concentrate on nailing those drivers with RDs or those drivers who are grossly exceeding the PSL. Yet the rest of the traffic continues to drive at 79 mph regardless of weather conditions since they behave like a school of fish and rightly assume that their odds of being pulled over are very minimal. Why do VA drivers behave this way? Because they have no means to have increased "road awareness" of the presence of police radar since RDs are illegal to use in VA. The logic behind VA's RD ban is so bass ackward that it is both ludicrous and laughable.

Lead Foot

I'll tell you why there is so much enforcement, it's because the state needs to generate revenue. More and more people are losing jobs, gas is said to hit $4.00 a gallon on average accross the country this summer. The state needs us to pay for the gas the officers use, although we pay their salaries, they want more. They are demanding raises. Instead of the people in charge using the money they already have more efficiently and wisely, they waste money and take it out on us innocent citizens. I think this world is coming to an end real soon. Foreclosures are at a record high, gas is at a record high, employment is at a record low. Here you have the NY governer spending $80,000 of our tax money on hookers. I hope I didn't hijack this thread. Sorry to ramble off like this. I just wanted to explain why traffic enforcement is so extreme.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by rose1
    I'll tell you why there is so much enforcement, it's because the state needs to generate revenue. More and more people are losing jobs, gas is said to hit $4.00 a gallon on average accross the country this summer. The state needs us to pay for the gas the officers use, although we pay their salaries, they want more. They are demanding raises. Instead of the people in charge using the money they already have more efficiently and wisely, they waste money and take it out on us innocent citizens. I think this world is coming to an end real soon. Foreclosures are at a record high, gas is at a record high, employment is at a record low. Here you have the NY governer spending $80,000 of our tax money on hookers. I hope I didn't hijack this thread. Sorry to ramble off like this. I just wanted to explain why traffic enforcement is so extreme.
    Couldn't agree with you more. VA is in trouble. More money is going out than is coming in. Is George Bush running the VA budget?

Just do what he does, give tax refunds with money you don't have! What kind of example does this set?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Virion
    Couldn't agree with you more. VA is in trouble. More money is going out than is coming in. Is George Bush running the VA budget?

Just do what he does, give tax refunds with money you don't have! What kind of example does this set?
    Trust me, when it comes to traffic enforcement, our safety is the last thing on their minds.