Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick question?

Lead Foot

Default Quick question?

I currently have my Bel Vector 955 mounted high above the RVM and hard wired. I do some driving in VA and my RD is still visible to other drivers if they were to look closley inside my car. Would I lose a considerable amount of range if I were to mount it with velcro next to the dome light of my Pontiac Grand AM? That would mean it would be in the center of the headliner in my car. I would also wire up a kill switch in case I see "thestampcollector" with his green impala. Either that or I can mount it near the map lights that is located just ahead of my sunroof. What do you guys think? I tried the visor mount but that interferes when the sun is in my eyes, I cant lower the sun visor because the RD is in the way.

Speed Demon

I wouldn't be able to "trust" the detector if it was in the middle of the car. Intuitively, it would seem as though the farther you bring the detector into the car, the higher the chance that the metal inside the car would scatter a weak signal and your RD wouldn't alert. I'm sure that with a full signal, the RD would alert even if it was in the middle of the car. But, if someone gets I/O'ed way up ahead of you and only a weak signal makes it to your car...you could miss the alert.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingmind
    I wouldn't be able to "trust" the detector if it was in the middle of the car. Intuitively, it would seem as though the farther you bring the detector into the car, the higher the chance that the metal inside the car would scatter a weak signal and your RD wouldn't alert. I'm sure that with a full signal, the RD would alert even if it was in the middle of the car. But, if someone gets I/O'ed way up ahead of you and only a weak signal makes it to your car...you could miss the alert.
    That's a good point. Would you recommend the visor mount?

Advanced Member

I think RadarBusters sells a conceal pouch that goes onto the visor. I think it's designed for the STi but I would think that it would would with yours.

*Edit* Then again, maybe not. Just took a quick look and couldn't find anything like that.
    Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

-V1 3.872 (1.3 Mi. C/O Ka pointed away from me. 3.6 Mi. C/O K)-Bel RX65 New Backup (4.1 Mi. C/O Ka 35.494 Ghz, light traffic) -Laser Interceptor Gen-8 Dual (No saves yet ) -Bel 980. -Galaxy DX 959 with a peak and tune.
    -Wilson Lil' Wil antennae. -Whistler 1585. -Whistler 1430. -Passort 3200 w/ 1000 laser detector (got stolen, bought one off ebay for nostalga).
    -Cobra Trapshooter RD-31XX? (Can't remember silver/teardrop shape X, K only). -Cobra Trapshooter RD-3110 (my first RD in 1987, when Cobras were good, bought one off ebay for nostalga new in the box). -Kustom HAWK. -Kustom Falcon cordless K Band. -Kustom Talon.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ray
    I think RadarBusters sells a conceal pouch that goes onto the visor. I think it's designed for the STi but I would think that it would would with yours.
    Yeah Roy does sell that. I sure as heck would be using it if I was in Va.

EDIT I just checked to, he used to but I don't see it anymore... :? :?

Advanced Member

I couldn't find one at Beltronics either. I know a "pouch" that goes on the visor specifically for concealing RD's exists, but I just don't know where to find them. Sorry.

An RD's performance on a visor is good. The only major downside I can think of is you can't use the visor to block the sun.
    Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

-V1 3.872 (1.3 Mi. C/O Ka pointed away from me. 3.6 Mi. C/O K)-Bel RX65 New Backup (4.1 Mi. C/O Ka 35.494 Ghz, light traffic) -Laser Interceptor Gen-8 Dual (No saves yet ) -Bel 980. -Galaxy DX 959 with a peak and tune.
    -Wilson Lil' Wil antennae. -Whistler 1585. -Whistler 1430. -Passort 3200 w/ 1000 laser detector (got stolen, bought one off ebay for nostalga).
    -Cobra Trapshooter RD-31XX? (Can't remember silver/teardrop shape X, K only). -Cobra Trapshooter RD-3110 (my first RD in 1987, when Cobras were good, bought one off ebay for nostalga new in the box). -Kustom HAWK. -Kustom Falcon cordless K Band. -Kustom Talon.

Radar Fanatic

I couldn't find one at Beltronics either. I know a "pouch" that goes on the visor specifically for concealing RD's exists, but I just don't know where to find them. Sorry.

An RD's performance on a visor is good. The only major downside I can think of is you can't use the visor to block the sun.
    I can't find it either. Try Ebay maybe? I had to use the visor mount for my V1 for a bit and the rear antenna kept "looking" at me. It was slightly unnerving...

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beatlesfan

I can't find it either. Try Ebay maybe? I had to use the visor mount for my V1 for a bit and the rear antenna kept "looking" at me. It was slightly unnerving...
    Was it like a big eye starring at you? Or did you have the feeling it was scanning your brain!? In that case, you could have just put some aluminum foil on your head!

Lead Foot

I have read some people use a CD visor holder and it does the trick until you can get your hands on the visor pouch...

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave
    I have read some people use a CD visor holder and it does the trick until you can get your hands on the visor pouch...
    Would I still have good laser protection?