Power User

Default Weird positioning of Radar

I was driving on the PA turnpike on Saturday and noticed that the cops were sitting right behind bridge underpasses, with the car parallel to traffic with the radar antennas on the top of the back window out side of the car pointing towards traffic. I don't understand how this can be effective since the car was sitting in the direction of traffic, almost like they would need a mirror to see the oncoming traffic as they try to get a reading. The band was K.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Weird positioning of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic
    I was driving on the PA turnpike on Saturday and noticed that the cops were sitting right behind bridge underpasses, with the car parallel to traffic with the radar antennas on the top of the back window out side of the car pointing towards traffic. I don't understand how this can be effective since the car was sitting in the direction of traffic, almost like they would need a mirror to see the oncoming traffic as they try to get a reading. The band was K.
    Here in Cali, the CHP does this all the time. They sit on the side on the freeway looking out their side mirror, then take off a the next speeder they see. The only differences are that the radar antenna is mounted inside the back window and the band is 34.7Ka.

Good Citizen

Yea.. Kinda odd to read that the radar gun was OUTSIDE the car. Raleigh cops here have two sets, one on the front and back windscreen. But, they are both INSIDE the car.

Yoda of Radar

Look like this?:

Power User

That is normal.

Not necessarily outside of the car, but yeah, they can clock you anyway they can get you.

There was a picture of a motocylce cop with custom rear antenna on the back of his bike. I would not have believed it unless I saw it. A year later I actually saw a motocycle officer with such a setup. Unbelievable!

Radar Fanatic

I remember lots of exterior window mounted radar back in the day of the old MPH K-55 x band.

I always wondered how a cop could postively ID who was speeding when they were facing the same direction as traffic? Kinda throws the theory of "tracking history" out the window. :roll: (no pun intended)

J/

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    That is normal.

Not necessarily outside of the car, but yeah, they can clock you anyway they can get you.

There was a picture of a motocylce cop with custom rear antenna on the back of his bike. I would not have believed it unless I saw it. A year later I actually saw a motocycle officer with such a setup. Unbelievable!
    Yea, normal... I'm sure it would be pretty normal to see the cop chase down a car going 100 MPH with his bloody radar gun sticking out his window... Hmmm, yea... Why doesn't the cop just leave it attached to his windscreen inside his car. Maybe he wants to give his radar gun some sun, awww, poor lil radar gun, all it sees is fluorescent light.

Yoda of Radar

Hey Seffrican

I think these were set up to ease fears of cancer problems from having the gun in the vehicle... as when it is inside the vehicle there is some RF radiation that is bounced around in the cabin.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by SAfricanCracker
    Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    That is normal.

Yea, normal... I'm sure it would be pretty normal to see the cop chase down a car going 100 MPH with his bloody radar gun sticking out his window... Hmmm, yea... Why doesn't the cop just leave it attached to his windscreen inside his car. Maybe he wants to give his radar gun some sun, awww, poor lil radar gun, all it sees is fluorescent light.

The reason it was outside of the window was because he was sitting towards traffic and then i guess looking in his mirror as traffic approaches, you can not see the police car until you are right on top of it. DJ yes that is how it was set up. I picked it up easily, I was doing like 90 or so, then picked up the K I went down to like 60 and the cars behind me were like what the hell was I doing LOL.

Advanced Member

Sounds like to me that the RADAR unit is used in more than one cruiser. Using a window mount is easier and or quicker than mounting it on the dash. I use to see this set up all the time back in the late 80's, very early 90's. Especially around Virginia.
    Outside Independence Hall when the Constitutional Convention of 1787 ended, Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

-V1 3.872 (1.3 Mi. C/O Ka pointed away from me. 3.6 Mi. C/O K)-Bel RX65 New Backup (4.1 Mi. C/O Ka 35.494 Ghz, light traffic) -Laser Interceptor Gen-8 Dual (No saves yet ) -Bel 980. -Galaxy DX 959 with a peak and tune.
    -Wilson Lil' Wil antennae. -Whistler 1585. -Whistler 1430. -Passort 3200 w/ 1000 laser detector (got stolen, bought one off ebay for nostalga).
    -Cobra Trapshooter RD-31XX? (Can't remember silver/teardrop shape X, K only). -Cobra Trapshooter RD-3110 (my first RD in 1987, when Cobras were good, bought one off ebay for nostalga new in the box). -Kustom HAWK. -Kustom Falcon cordless K Band. -Kustom Talon.