Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default CO X band still exists

I could hardly believe it when I was headed to work this morning and encountered an NC statie running CO X band while driving. I think this is the second "real" (LEO based) X band encounter I've had since 2000 or so (when I bought my first detector). Not really a save/threat situation. Just surprised to see such obsolete technology still in use. He could have at least been using IO for a little more stealth.

I wish I could have talk to the cop and said "you know, CO X band radar doesn't work and is a waste of money."

Speed Demon

Where was this at?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by dodgesrt4driver
    Where was this at?
    Ohhh, sorry I forgot to include the vitals. It was on Sumner Blvd. off Old Wake Forrest Road (close to Capital Blvd) in Raleigh, North Carolina. The LEO was a state trooper.

Old Timer

yea its in NC, Ohio, Texas and esp. NJ..but also a lot of states have rural/local cops with X

Lead Foot

actually its pretty smart to use X b/c a lot of people ignore it or have the band turned off...

be careful out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave
    actually its pretty smart to use X b/c a lot of people ignore it or have the band turned off...

be careful out there!

Around here in South Jersey, I see more X band in use than K, Ka, or Laser combined! That is why I keep my 955 on highway all the time so I'll hear each and every X.

Power User

I got a x band c/o hit in New Mexico. 3 mile alert in hills a leo was hiding in the median over a hill

Old Timer

There's still plenty of people without radar detectors that do get nailed with C/O X.

Professional

Well, at least you know your tax dollars aren't being wasted by your local law enforcement. They are using their equipment for even beyond its service life expectancy, squeezing everything they can out of the budget.

That, or they are embezzling the money and just putting it into their own off shore accounts for private use instead of using it for improvements.

I'm kind of pissed off at seeing my tax dollars being apparently wasted frivolously in my own area. Our local city police have been running new 35 GHz radar here just fine, but suddenly now I see them all running new 33 GHz radar. It pisses me off, what was wrong with the 35 GHz radar they were using, no way it was outdated and had any justification in replacing it.

Maybe your city officials should contact my city officials and work out a good deal on the slightly used Ka band equipment they just dumped for new Ka band equipment.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO
    There's still plenty of people without radar detectors that do get nailed with C/O X.
    And people who turn off or ignore X-band alerts who will get nailed by CO X-band too.

There's really nothing inherently wrong with X-band...