Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Would X make a comeback?

Since so many people have written it off already and disabled X on their RD's, do you think it'll make a comeback? If I were a LEO, I would use X I/O day in day out. Strike where they least expect it, no? It's old tech but it works.

Old Timer

Default yes

Yes there is a slight chance of it coming back especially in some of the smaller towns across the US. If it is a LEO that is smart and knows how many rd users out here that turn off x band, that right there is enough to get him/herself an x band radar gun for the police vehicle. But like the professor said, it is a big antenna.

Speed Demon

I agree with proud. Small towns that do not have the budget to purchase the "modern technology" of radar could revert to X. Most towns that purchase the latest toys want to see an increase in revenue

Speed Demon

Personally I don't see it happening. The gun makers are dead set on K/Ka. Plus alot of departments are switching to LIDAR since its now getting cheaper.

Professional

New K band sets (not to mention used) are only about $50-100 more than a comparable X band radar. I'd imagine most of the places that continue to use X do so because either the state has been VERY slow to approve new technology or whomever is setting the budget is very frugal. The total spread in price from a low end Ka to an X band radar is about $200. Not much to fret over unless you've got to purchase a couple hundred of them.

Power User

I have seen x in mostly small town leo's and poor little village towns here in Texas and New Mexico. But i got blasted with x when i went to New Mexico on the way to Colorado. There was a Leo shooting C/O x band in the median over a hill which was a gimme of a 3 mile save in hills. the pro 78 Rev C is so quiet i ALWAYS leave x band on.

Professional

I wish X band would go away here in New Jersey. I don't see it going away as long as the radar unit is functional.

Plus the state and local governments have already paid and own this revenue generating tool.

I have no idea, but I think New Jersey will keep X band and even purchase more if they can get them.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by nascar
    I wish X band would go away here in New Jersey. I don't see it going away as long as the radar unit is functional.

Plus the state and local governments have already paid and own this revenue generating tool.

I have no idea, but I think New Jersey will keep X band and even purchase more if they can get them.
    AKA maximum return on investment. I don't think X band will ever go away for all the reasons mentioned. Whether it will make a comeback is another story. So often government agencies want the latest and greatest whether they need it or not.

An enterprising LEO with a X band K-55 can bring in a lot of cash.

GTO_04

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_04
    Quote Originally Posted by nascar

AKA maximum return on investment. I don't think X band will ever go away for all the reasons mentioned. Whether it will make a comeback is another story. So often government agencies want the latest and greatest whether they need it or not.

An enterprising LEO with a X band K-55 can bring in a lot of cash.

GTO_04
    The element of surprise is definitely there. I bet a lot of RD owners with X band disabled will really kick themselves if they get nailed by X.