Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by rick1970
    Thanks again everyone, both for the advice and the warm welcome to the forum. Sweet advice on the RDs. Looks to me so far that the Bel 940/955 has a slight edge over the Pro 78, not that the Pro 78 is a poor unit by any means. I'll keep checking to see what everyone has to say just in case someone shows the Pro 78 with an edge over the Bel units. Looks like I can't really get screwed with any of them in that price range, so that is comforting. I still really want that 995, but the $218 price tag puts it a bit out of my budget, especially if the wife finds out (LOL). I'm a techie ad love those extra features like the frequency display. If I didn't have an $8,000 dental procedure coming up, I might have just pulled the trigger on it and told her it was on sale for $150 or so.

To reply to the poster that recommended not to buy off Amazon, that is usually where I buy a lot of my stuff. I do however only purchase new stock sold directly from Amazon. I do not deal with any third party sellers, whether new or used. I know from years of business from Amazon that they stand behind the products that they sell directly to the consumer. They also seem to be far and away the best price for the RDs I have listed.

You all are great. Keep the good advice coming. Thanks....
    Just so you know, those tests were done on the Pro78 RevB. While I have not seen one in person, the newer RevC is getting very positive reviews. Something to look in to.

...To reply to the poster that recommended not to buy off Amazon, that is usually where I buy a lot of my stuff. I do however only purchase new stock sold directly from Amazon. I do not deal with any third party sellers, whether new or used. I know from years of business from Amazon that they stand behind the products that they sell directly to the consumer. They also seem to be far and away the best price for the RDs I have listed....
    Note that Amazon now runs a specific disclaimer that RDs purchased from them may be only subject to the seller warranty as opposed to the manufacturer warranty. Something to think about!

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Note that Amazon now runs a specific disclaimer that RDs purchased from them may be only subject to the seller warranty as opposed to the manufacturer warranty. Something to think about!
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I did not realize that was the case. Guess it explains the big discounts.

Power User

From my experence with RevC on the pro 78. I think there is around a 30% increase on detection on Ka and K band Rev C.

Newcomer

Default Whistler XTR690

How about the Whistler XTR690? Looks practically the same as the Pro 78. Is this a good buy/performer in it's price range?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Whistler XTR690

How about the Whistler XTR690? Looks practically the same as the Pro 78. Is this a good buy/performer in it's price range?
    Exact same performance, couple less bells. If you need specific Whistler questions answered, you should PM a member here named Michael B. He works directly for Whistler and knows everything there is to know about Whistler products.

Experienced

They both have the same performance, only differences are...

xtr690- built in compass and volt meter. Also has a lower quality display.

Pro 78- Better display. Comes with hard wire kit and a sticky pad which is sweet for the cell phone.

Edit- Just saw you drive a convertible. I'd recommend the Pro 78 over the xtr690 because of the better display. easier to see when the sun is shinning on it. Thats what I got because of my wrangler.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by kuba
    They both have the same performance, only differences are...

xtr690- built in compass and volt meter. Also has a lower quality display.

Pro 78- Better display. Comes with hard wire kit and a sticky pad which is sweet for the cell phone.

Edit- Just saw you drive a convertible. I'd recommend the Pro 78 over the xtr690 because of the better display. easier to see when the sun is shinning on it. Thats what I got because of my wrangler.
    Good point, and I already have an in dash compass as well as a Garmin Nuvi, so the compass feature would be pointless.

I started out favoring the Bel models, but you all are slowly selling me on the Pro 78.

Thanks for pointing out the display concerns for top-down cruising.

Professional

The Pro 78 is on my list to try next. That is if I can ever take this Valentine One down. So far I have not been able to break it free of my windshield.

Newcomer

Default Pro-78 it is!

After careful consideration of the information posted in these forums, as well as the recommendations given in this thread, I have pulled the trigger and ordered the Pro-78 today. Got it from Amazon (new stock direct from Amazon, not a third party seller) for $132.32. Should be in my hands by April 4th, so can't wait to test it out (and of course get my $98 bucks plus tax back from Wally World for the Cobra).

Thanks to those of you that pointed me in the right direction. I still really liked the Bel models, but the increased price, warranty hassles (if purchased from someplace like Amazon) and some build quality concerns associated with the Bels which I read about made the Pro-78 an easier choice and one that I feel good about.

I may not have a V1 or an x50, but at least I now feel a little more confident about being able to do 80 - 85 on the NYS Thruway (PSL 65).