Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Please Don't Tell Me There Is No Citation Quota....

I had to go to Las Vegas to see a customer on Monday, March 31st. The early flights out of Long Beach and Orange County(I do not fly out of LAX) were sold out, so I drove. I had at least 10, probably closer to 15 confirmed Stalker 34.7Ka hits on the way there. It was ridiculous.

I drove back the next day, April 1st. It was a ghost town. I had exactly one confirmed radar hit, and it was a Las Vegas unmarked SUV at 35.5Ka as I entered the freeway to come home. So that means I drove all the way from the Las Vegas city limits to Long Beach without a single radar hit. The exact route the day before, the last day of the month, I had at least 10 on the exact same route. Total BS!

Radar Fanatic

They need some more cash flow.

Old Timer

in Las Vegas! yea right

Radar Fanatic

I've had people tell me before that there isn't a quota, but I've heard/experienced many situations like this that kind of prove otherwise.

Power User

An officer told me flat out... "all they want is yor money."

There are some here that have argued its an interpretation sort of thing, but I call BS. There is a clear quota. A speed trap is especially a revenue generating machine. Even that recent article about the red light cameras confirms the money trail.

Radar Fanatic

Of course there are quotas. In my town they have speed traps set up after the 20th of each month till the end. Weathers warming up so I'll get to see more and more LEOs in the coming months standing on the side of the road ready to jump into oncoming traffic waiting for donations to their donut fund.

Good Citizen

Last edited by lammy08; 05-19-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Lead Foot

I can almost confirm quotas just like the situation djrams described. Every single month, the last 5 days I can drive the 2 miles to school and consitently get hit by radar 5 times. The first of the month...nothing.

Although here is a theory of mine. This is in my city at least. I think that there is more of a reward system, depending on how much money your bring in. We have several different police cars with different features on them. We have some that are old Ford Tauruses with the big lights on the top. Then we have a bunch of the Impalas. These are where it differs. Some of them have the big lights at the top and some of them have the slimmed down version, which is very hard to pick out. Then we just recently got some Dodge Chargers. These have several set ups also. There are ones with the slimmed down lights, some without lights on top, but have them hidden inside the car. Then they have some of the ones without the lights on top with markings on the side and then 1 Charger that has no lights on the top and is unmarked. Then one unique Charger has slimmed lights, markings on the side, and this little ball on the top of the car...I have not confirmed what it is yet, but I believe it is some kind of infrared sensor that allows the police inside the car to look for people in the dark..hiding in bushes and stuff.

But like I said, I think where I live there might be more a a reward system, which determines what kind of car you get. There is also a good chance there is a quota also.

-SuperSalad

Years ago police departments across the nation got into "trouble" since local news agencies reported that they obviously were issuing citations to meet quotas. Come on, ya all! Quotas still exist, yet police departments nowadays don't talk about it at all. They got smart and now they all keep their mouths shut. If you think that quotas don't exist, then consider that police departments are routinely awarded either "grant money" or "other prizes" if they issue a certain number of citations or specific types of citations such as speeding citations or DUI citations. And you are gonna tell me that any police department, if it is in the running to win one of these "awards", isn't going to tell its officers to "get those citations which we need" in order to hopefully win that grant money or other type of award?

If you hold a carrot on a stick in front of a donkey, then you can pretty much get the donkey to do just about anything. No insult towards Roy of course, yet I bet that he would concur.

Radar Fanatic

Mem tek, you hit the proverbial nail on the head with that one.
    I never even thought about how PDs get those "grants" and "gifts" from the Federal Government. That sounds spot on though.