Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the absolutely most cheap RD out there?

Hi everyone,

Just curious, but what is the cheapest (price) radar detector available in your area? This thread is more about finding out just how low Cobra and the various import RD manufacturers are willing to go in order to sucker people into throwing away some cash on a product which performs either horribly or at least well below what might be termed as "acceptable" performance.

In other words, this hopefully will be the ultimate "trash the cheapo radar detector" thread! Have a blast. Post horror stories and all, yet observe the forum's rules.

Speed Demon

I guess the cheapest one around me is from Best Buy the Cobra ESD 8200 for $62.

I was looking on the website, and it gets sooooo many positive reviews, its insane!

Here is what one guy said:

"whether you buy the $500 one or this one there is no difference. I had one before for $400, then I bought this one. both saved me many times, so why paying hundreds. this one is so great."

Good Citizen

Saw a cobra at wallymart on sale for $39

Speed Demon

The local Target here has cobras, pretty sure they were in the $40 - $50 range, i should swing by tomorrow and jsut take a peek for giggles.

Experienced

I've seen a cobra for 19.99 at k-mart. It only had a couple LED lights on it.....

Lead Foot

It depends, do you mean cheap as in a POS or cheap as in price. As far as POS, I say the RMR's are the ****tiest. And in price I say the cobras which are also ****ty.

Radar Fanatic

The cheapest POS here are $39 6 band cobras at walmart.

The cheapest "Laser Jammer" is the RMR C430 at Sears for $219. Why waste your money on a ZR4?

Yoda of Radar

Since they've split the spectrum up into so many "bands", what does a "6 band" Cobra actually detect?

Lead Foot

I had a POS Cobra "6 band" 6060 before I knew anything. I think they count the 6 bands as X, K, 3 Ka bands and laser. I think the later marketing ploy is to count every single laser gun out there too so that they can say "12 bands" or something silly...

**edit** And when I bought it I think it was like $59 (about 6 years ago) - I've seen it now around the internet for like $25

Radar Fanatic

My Target has a Cobra for $49.99.

Funny story: My and my little brother were just in Target the other day, and went past the Cobra radar detectors. I said, 'Would you ever trust a $50 Cobra?' He said 'No.' Then I asked about a $200 and a $300 Cobra, and he said 'No.' Then I asked 'What about a $1000 Cobra?' to which he said 'No.' I asked why, and he said 'Never trust a Cobra.'