Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardwiring Pics

Newcomer

Default Hardwiring Pics

Just finished washing and waxing my Volvo S80, and I decided to hardwired both my Garmin 260 and my 8500 X50. I'm going to be getting a CB soon, but I'm not really sure where to put it. I think I might mount it in the glove box.
    Anyways, here are a few pics:

[/img]

Experienced

It looks good, but why bother hardwiring your GPS? It only gives thieves more of a reason to bash out your window.

Newcomer

you actually can't see either the RD or the GPS (behind tint strip), and I have pretty dark tinted windows (hence the crappy dark pictures).

Power User

Just curious, how does the GPS display volvo on it? It looks like an after market unit?

Newcomer

The Garmin 260 lets you store pictures in the unit. Then you can set the options to display a certain picture when you power it up.
    I wanted it to look like it came with the car.

Experienced

very clean installation...I like the fact that your rd is hidden just behind the tinted part of the window

Professional

im jealous.

Radar Fanatic

Very nice car, enjoy it

Few observations if i may: that GPS (and I have Garmin 350) is too high and too far from your eyes, you have to take your eyes off the road ahead while looking at its display, not safely at all... I have my 350 (normal screen) on the dash, so the mount is on the dash just by the vent, the mount is fully secured on the dash, any time I go home I just take the Garmin with me, also being so low on the dash no freaking wire is seen from outside, I hate cables and wires running around IN FRONT OF ME, Garmin's power cord is going straight down over the vent to a triple power outlet (CB and XM the other things in the power outlet)...
    Now with the RD, try to shorten the cord a little bit, too much to be seen from outside, not nice... and with the CB that as you said you intend on getting one, you know, CB like a CB, it stays in your car, no big deal, but in order to use it and get the max performance out of it you will need a powerful antenna, a MAG antenna, Wilson are the best, but these are pretty long (I have a Wilson 5000 with a short load, 42'' from top to bottom), are you sure you want to drive with such freaking long thing on top of your beautiful car?

Just my humble personal opinions, in no way my intention to change anything in your car or life :wink:

Newcomer

Those are some great suggestions. I have tried to mount the GPS on the dash, but I actually felt like an unsafe driver (having to look down). I am very tall and the seat is already the lowest it can be. I dunno, i think i might actually try and mount it behind the registration stickers....we will see.
    With my RD, I have already been through one hardwire cord. It stopped working after a month, I think it was because I didn't give it enough slack and it caused the power to flicker on and off. Ya, the excess cord is something I don't like very much either but I don't want to have to pull out the cords again.
    The CB I am thinking about getting is mainly for the long drives I have to do. I was just employed at a Big 4 firm after doing my internship, and right now they have me auditing clients all over Texas. Sometimes they let me fly, but other times I have to drive. So...I was thinking about keeping the actual CB radio in the glove box and mount the MAGNETIC antenna in the middle of my trunk. Then whenever I don't need it, just unscrew the antenna and put the magnet base in my trunk.
    Your opinions were greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RW'07
    Very nice car, enjoy it

Few observations if i may: that GPS (and I have Garmin 350) is too high and too far from your eyes, you have to take your eyes off the road ahead while looking at its display, not safely at all... I have my 350 (normal screen) on the dash, so the mount is on the dash just by the vent, the mount is fully secured on the dash, any time I go home I just take the Garmin with me, also being so low on the dash no freaking wire is seen from outside, I hate cables and wires running around IN FRONT OF ME, Garmin's power cord is going straight down over the vent to a triple power outlet (CB and XM the other things in the power outlet)...
    Now with the RD, try to shorten the cord a little bit, too much to be seen from outside, not nice... and with the CB that as you said you intend on getting one, you know, CB like a CB, it stays in your car, no big deal, but in order to use it and get the max performance out of it you will need a powerful antenna, a MAG antenna, Wilson are the best, but these are pretty long (I have a Wilson 5000 with a short load, 42'' from top to bottom), are you sure you want to drive with such freaking long thing on top of your beautiful car?

Just my humble personal opinions, in no way my intention to change anything in your car or life :wink:

Newcomer

Hey DollaBill,
    Is that your Catera? I used to have one, and I loved that car! The first thing I changed was the grill, my Cadillac dealer had one of these in stock.

The brakes were by far the best upgrade ever for this car. I also used ceramic pads...zero dust (well actually, hardly noticeable dust)