Radar Fanatic

Default HOW RARE ARE LASER FALSES

Two days in a row I got to quick alerts for laser in the same area but never seen leo. I have a V995 M4 and this is the only place and time it has ever went of for laser.. Are they likely falses from something..No electric door or alot of businesses around so Im not sure. Any suggestions on If I should pay attention or ignore. I take that back..It does go off for laser when I pass under the SunPass stations for toll roads. I figured that was because of some kind of laser that reads your SunPass.

Lead Foot

how rare are radar falses? should be rephrased to : how common are radar falses?

With that said laser falses are much less common then radar. Look out for high end cars like infinities that use laser for adaptive cruise and other features. I have had laser alerts from red light cameras (thats a plus) and toll booths.

I wouldn't be concerned about your encounter. If a leo is shooting laser he has to be relatively close to the lane he is shooting. You would probably have seen him.

Old Timer

v1 + pharmacies = falses every time

Radar Fanatic

With my STI is just a miracle to get a FALSE laser alert, and I live in a very large city with thousands of stores, banks, car dealerships, condos, etc.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by hockey005
    v1 + pharmacies = falses every time
    pharmacies = laser falses???

Any RD will false with a pharmacy (door sensor).

The question was about laser.

As far as Laser falses go it really depends on the detector. The V1 is the most sensitive so it will false more on laser. Some other detectors never false on laser, let alone a real police laser threat.

Power User

Yeah, the toll booth pass stations trip off laser on all my detectors. In addition, a laptop display at very close range trips off my V1, as does directly pointing it towards a red neon tube (i.e. what some signs use, and the 3rd brake lamp on slightly older GMCs).

Overall with laser if you don't immediately see some sort of police activity on the shoulders or overpass, it's probably a false.

Old Timer

Default Re: HOW RARE ARE LASER FALSES

There's a lot of things that can trigger false laser alerts on various detectors:

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtopic.php?t=35245

^ In addition to what's said there, note also that it is possible for your vehicle's Nav/entertainment screen(s) to set off the laser warning on your detector. Apparently, on some vehicles/systems, the flicker/refresh rate is just right..... (this has been routinely reported on the '06+ Subaru Legacy, for example).

Good Citizen

I get falses near a navy training station and one other area that I cannot find a source for. But, since they never move I know I can dismiss it.

Good Citizen

My X50 occasionally falses laser immediately on startup, maybe 2-3% of the time. When I drive on a highway that goes within sight Seatac airport's weather monitoring tower (I think that's what it is) I get a laser false every time.