Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default Different Ka freqs

I was wondering out of the 3 standard bands of KA, I assume some are easier to detect than others? Which is the easiest the detect and why? I am not referring to the use of POP.

Lead Foot

I read that 35.5 is the easiest while 33.8 is the hardest

Advanced Member

I' ve seen people post all kinds of different observations and perceptions regarding which Ka frequency is "hardest to detect".

In reality, whether the radar is "hard to detect" or "easy to detect" depends much more on the properties of the individual radar models, such as transmit power and antenna design, than the transmit frequency.

Power User

^^^Agreed.

If anything you will come accross here on the forum is that 35.5 is the hardest to detect off axis wise. IMHO there is no significant measurable difference in detectable range of any of the 3 Ka freq. I is entirely how the radar is pointing at you, or more so how it is not.

Power User

34.7 by far the easiest IMO. the test I have read seem to back this up ... here is just one example foam or no foam, over hill or straight 34.7 seems to detect farther from the gun consistantly.

http://www.guysoflidar.com/radar-det...ctor-test.html

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird
    34.7 by far the easiest IMO. the test I have read seem to back this up ... here is just one example foam or no foam, over hill or straight 34.7 seems to detect farther from the gun consistantly.

BUT, that is against just one specific 34.7 gun, the Stalker ATR. And that gun is unique for most police radar, in that it uses a rectangular linear polarized horn, compared with others that use round horn antennas that are circular polarized. Also, since the Stalker ATR was one of the first Ka units, the design might require more transmit power to achieve the same performance that modern units do with less power. I would bet against a different model of 34.7 gun, you would see some differences.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz

BUT, that is against just one specific 34.7 gun, the Stalker ATR. And that gun is unique for most police radar, in that it uses a rectangular linear polarized horn, compared with others that use round horn antennas that are circular polarized. Also, since the Stalker ATR was one of the first Ka units, the design might require more transmit power to achieve the same performance that modern units do with less power. I would bet against a different model of 34.7 gun, you would see some differences.
    I think that is a good point the variances of the actual gun has to be taken in consideration.

Yoda of Radar

Oooohhhh! Snap!

Lead Foot

Agreed! The motorcycle police here use the new Stalker II on the highway. They are very hard to detect from a distance. I was told by one member that this is because my RD sucks. :roll: LDS?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by rose1
    I read that 35.5 is the easiest while 33.8 is the hardest
    lots of 33.8 around here, easy to detect.