Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SWS.

Yoda of Radar

93rd? :?

Speed Demon

At this point I'm assuming you mean Canada? I've never heard Canada referred to in that way before.
    Richard

Lead Foot

If I were a legal scholar, I'd argue that point on the SWS in VA, but with the way this state (and DC) seemed to arbitrarily make RDs illegal it would be an uphill battle with me standing on the edge of a cliff.

Just another stupid piece of legislation like the time they wasted in the state senate last week trying to pass a bill to make it a crime if one were to walk out in public with their pants hanging off their butt displaying their draws. I don't like the look either, but to waste valuable time in the senate on such a stupid proposal.

If they had never outlawed RD's imagine how many lives may have been saved to give an early warning to watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinspike
    Iraq has a law against detectors? Or Afghanistan? Or Israel? Or Pakistan? Or Saudi Arabia?
    Richard

Israel is the only one i know that has a law against it, and egypt, and turkey, the rest of the mid east you should be good.

Does anyone know of any radar detector tests using the SWS? I'm debating whether to purchase one of the system mentioned in the original posting website by revlimiter98.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TPS_Radar_Instructor
    Does anyone know of any radar detector tests using the SWS? I'm debating whether to purchase one of the system mentioned in the original posting website by revlimiter98.
    Right Here:
    http://www.radarbusters.com/2006swsa...ertarticle.cfm
    RadarBusters.com
    Motorcycle Mounts and Accessories
    Also Join me at -
    Twitter: RadarRoy
    Facebook: Roy Reyer

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by SETITOFF
    One thing the Gov't could do is (like seatbelts) have the auto-makers integrate a safety warning receiver in cars.
    Oh great. Yet another fuse to have to yank.

Quote Originally Posted by SETITOFF
    Just another stupid piece of legislation like the time they wasted in the state senate last week trying to pass a bill to make it a crime if one were to walk out in public with their pants hanging off their butt displaying their draws. I don't like the look either, but to waste valuable time in the senate on such a stupid proposal.
    I love those idiots! They're always good for the best laugh of the day, especially when I get to watch them try to cross a busy street.

Lead Foot

Default Re: SWS.

Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter98
    Only if transmitters were on emergency vehicles, railroad crossing, etc. Let's take for example if someone had their radio blasting the radar detector wouldn't alert you, but if it did you'd be able to react in time. What does everyone else think about this feature?
    Unfortunately, in Fort Worth they're on most of the doggoned school buses, on K-band. I anyone can miss seeing a giant yellow whale headed at them, they sure don't have the presence of mind to seem likely to notice the SWS message.

As for grade crossings, I'll never understand why anyone gets hit by a train. Complete and total lack of attention, as far as I'm concerned. :roll:
    On this subject, check some of the comments, especially Ed Blysard's, on this thread over at the Trains forums: http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/22874/ShowPost.aspx

Default WDG Gul Micro Scan

Not to change the topic of this thread but I noticed that WDG stated he used to have an old Gul Micro Scan (A big PASSIVE detector with LOTS of falsies... My first detector! See one in the GoL Museum. Gone away... Buh-bye and good riddance!)

So WDG was it an early one without the city/highway switch or was it the Superheterodyne model?

I have four Gul microscans and they are actually the best detectors I have for classroom demonstrations. I have a small classroom X band radar (cost was over $330,000) that emits at very low power from 9.4 GHz to 10.0 GHz and it’s so low in power that it’s hard for a spectrum analyzer to pick up. I talked to the company that built it and a British instructor and they said they couldn’t even get a radar detector to trigger off it. Since I also had a radar transmitter amplifier from the company I bought the Radar from I decided to hook it up and see if I could amplify the signal enough to trigger a radar detector. So I decided to start buying old X band detectors to test my theory. As luck would have it, the first old detector I bought was a Gul microscan and it worked perfect. It has an extremely narrow antenna beam pattern at low power levels and I can demonstrate how dwell time works with this detector. I was so impressed with its performance that I went through great pains to purchase another one.

The second one I bought was a Gul Superheterodyne and yes it is a terrible detector. I then finally found a new remote Gul microscan and another old model like the original one I bought.

I couldn’t figure out exactly why it would trigger at 9.4 GHz but after I read the technical specifications I was lucky to find it stated that the Gul scanned from 9.445 to 24.445 GHz.

So yes it may be a POS in real life but it’s a great classroom training device – thought I would let you know that.

Lead Foot

Default Re: WDG Gul Micro Scan

Quote Originally Posted by TPS_Radar_Instructor
    So WDG was it an early one without the city/highway switch or was it the Superheterodyne model?
    It was the one with a dial for sensitivity, like a squelch control -- the original version, if I'm not mistaken. Just turn the dial down for City. IIRC, it came from Sharper Image, and I seem to recall the Superheterodyne came out maybe six months after I got this one.

It would often just beep, out in the middle of nowhere with nothing around. When I first got the Passport, I'd grown so used to the Gul's random beeping, that it took a while to trust that the Passport was actually working, as it only went off when it needed to. Also, no indication of signal strength whatsoever. The Passport gave loads of information compared to the Gul.

Interesting to know someone else even knows what it is, as I never ran across anyone else who had one. Even with it's issues, the Gul certainly paid for itself.