Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWS.

Default SWS.

I wonder if the SWS feature will be actually in operation. It would be a great feature. I did some searching online and I came across this website. http://www.innovative-tech.com/ Only if transmitters were on emergency vehicles, railroad crossing, etc. Let's take for example if someone had their radio blasting the radar detector wouldn't alert you, but if it did you'd be able to react in time. What does everyone else think about this feature?

Newcomer

Let's take for example if someone had their radio blasting the radar detector wouldn't alert you, but if it did you'd be able to react in time. What does everyone else think about this feature?

I dont really know what your trying to say... But in reality the sws was a great selling point for QVC and the like but thats all... Never going to happen with current style detectors..

Advanced Member

Yeah, I think the existance of SWS is a good thing. It allows detector makers to represent that their products improve safety, never mind the small number of transmitters out there...

I remember reading at one time that a judge (in a lower court) in Virginia had actually ruled that detectors equipped with SWS were legal. I'm pretty sure it was overturned in a higher court though.

Somebody has a different system (non-radar) they are trying to sell. I saw it on ebay and followed the link:
    http://www.earsalert.com/

Supposably transmitters are"FREE for the asking to any emergency service agency." If this system sucks as bad as the website it is sure to flop. The website design alone almost makes me wonder if they didn't throw it together so they could sell receivers to unwary ebayers...

Jim

Lead Foot

One thing the Gov't could do is (like seatbelts) have the auto-makers integrate a safety warning receiver in cars. As much as we pay in taxes, a nationwide system can easily be implemented at RRXs, on school buses, ambulances, police cars and at a safe distance entering highway construction zones. Besides, as much as the automakers are charging for vehicles they should be willing to add it in and get a gov't grant behind it; and costs for auto-insurance, it could decrease rates across the board.

Okay folks, there's a freeby...put it together and go sell it 8)

Yoda of Radar

How about integrated radar detectors?

Police are supposed to put speedtraps at dangerous areas, and therefore an alert is a warning that you are in a dangerous zone, no?

Speed Demon

Interestingly enough, I'm told the VA statue was deemend legal because it's based on the grounds of driver safety (I didn't get the chance to ask, but I assume this means it's a distraction). Couldn't one argue an integrated system is no more a distraction than turn signal indicators and therefore legal in all 50 states?
    Richard

Yoda of Radar

Don't forget the 51st!

Speed Demon

Yeah, well DC is jerks.
    Richard

Yoda of Radar

OK, and the 52nd!

Speed Demon

Iraq has a law against detectors? Or Afghanistan? Or Israel? Or Pakistan? Or Saudi Arabia?
    Richard