Thread: mount on Rav4

Good Citizen

Default mount on Rav4

Living in this area there's no way you can leave your unit in sight :x So I have mounted my RX65 right above my head I have a Light and a place for my garage opener...I got some velcro and stuck it up thare I may have to buy a better brand (99 Cents store)might not hack it The other problem I have is a glare strip a.k.a. Tint line Tested on garage door opener and it worked :shock: The other problem is smart cord is pretty short...But I used a phone line extenstion cord and it works fine The detector is upside down but i don't care.....Better place for laser detector I will still order visor clip because I now know it can detect with the tint anyway I could remove glare strip or cut in middle :roll: :roll:

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: mount on Rav4

Quote Originally Posted by postman
    The detector is upside down but i don't care.....Better place for laser detector
    That brings up a question I've had for a while but haven't posted. Has anybody played with orienting their detector any way other than right side up and level? Would sensitivity suffer if I did something like, say, mounted it pointing straight down the center line of the car but stood on its side? You guys probably thing I'm nuts even for asking. I'm just curious because I've been trying to think "outside the box" for different lower-profile mounting ideas involving the rear view mirror but the geometry in my car makes it hard not to shroud the rear antenna.

Radar Fanatic

Yeah, I really wish Bel would go back to the visor setup like they used on the (I think) the Vector 985. The detector mounted upside-down on the visor so the buttons were accessable, and there was a setting to invert the display so it could still be read. I think that was the 985, could be wrong. but I do know it was a bel. Good idea though..

*listening Bel?</cough>*

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    Yeah, I really wish Bel would go back to the visor setup like they used on the (I think) the Vector 985. The detector mounted upside-down on the visor so the buttons were accessable, and there was a setting to invert the display so it could still be read. I think that was the 985, could be wrong. but I do know it was a bel. Good idea though..

*listening Bel?</cough>*

Ya that was a really neat feature....!! 8)

Newcomer

Quote Brick..."Would sensitivity suffer if I did something like, say, mounted it pointing straight down the center line of the car but stood on its side? "

When RDs were declared illegal in this part of the world and before the advent of Stalcar, I mounted my V1 vertically on the side of the passengers headrest and covered it with a sheepskin seat cover. I ran a cord out to the remote display and drove on as if nothing had changed.
    The range seemed unchanged and even the directional arrows worked well. I understand police radar is circularly polarised and so the antenna orientation is not important (as long as it's pointed at the radar, of course)
    Lidar was not used in those days.

On a friends car I mounted his RD inside the housing for the high mounted centre rear brake light! It looked forward through the windscreen. It worked great and stayed there for several years. When Stalcar came he was stopped and searched twice. The cops looked high and low at the front of the car, inside and out. They never thought to look at the back of the car. The power supply was from the power antenna output on the radio, so to turn off the RD, one simply turned off the radio.

Lee

Radar Fanatic

Those are some really good ideas. The headrest, especially, I never would have thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Those are some really good ideas. The headrest, especially, I never would have thought of.

especially if you or your passengers have a hollow head!

Newcomer

Quote Stalkervision..."especially if you or your passengers have a hollow head!"

Doh! You think I'm stupid or something? The detector was arranged so it looked beside a passengers head. Sure they might have blocked it occasionally if they moved their head laterally, but in this country we have a compulsory seat belt law, so in reality it was not a problem.

All I can tell you is I drove like that for a couple of years with a 60 kilometer each way commute on rural highways. At least one radar encounter every day and never a ticket.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Suddenlee
    Quote Stalkervision..."especially if you or your passengers have a hollow head!"

Doh! You think I'm stupid or something? The detector was arranged so it looked beside a passengers head. Sure they might have blocked it occasionally if they moved their head laterally, but in this country we have a compulsory seat belt law, so in reality it was not a problem.

All I can tell you is I drove like that for a couple of years with a 60 kilometer each way commute on rural highways. At least one radar encounter every day and never a ticket.

Lee
    actually radar waves go right tru most peoples noggins with no problem whatsoever except for former boxers with especially thick skulls that you couldn't knock out even with a sledge hammer... :wink: