Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cobras really are that bad!

I havent owned a radar detector in several years so I stopped by radio shack and picked up a XRS 9485. Looked decent and I neglected to do much research because I needed it for a trip.

Anyways - it sucks. I passed several cops in wide open space on a flat patch of interstate and I would get a KA notification maybe 100ft before passing them. So I figured police radar is now so good that radar detectors are not as useful as they were or cobra sucks. From reading this forum - I see now cobra just sucks!!!

I was thinking of returning it to radio shack and upgrading to a Bel 955 (or whatever the $175 model was).

Do you think I will see a noticeable difference?

Professional

oh yeah they are bad. 995 will be a huge leap and will work great compared to any cobra.

Yoda of Radar

That would be a huge upgrade in performance. The V955 and the Whistler Pro78 are the consensus 2 best RDs under $200.

Thanks - returning it tomorrow and buying a bel 955!

Lead Foot

my first RD was a cobra.. it was "OK" on K-band and terrible on Ka
    now I own a RX-65 and the difference just keep impressing me

the strobe alert on cobra was fun "Emergency vehicle approaching !! "

Lead Foot

The sad thing is, at one time Radio Shack sold a very nice Bel, now all they sell are Crapras!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aradarnut
    The sad thing is, at one time Radio Shack sold a very nice Bel, now all they sell are Crapras!
    I saw a Bel there the other day and i think a whistler.

Default Re: cobras really are that bad!

Quote Originally Posted by toomscj7
    I havent owned a radar detector in several years so I stopped by radio shack and picked up a XRS 9485. Looked decent and I neglected to do much research because I needed it for a trip.

Anyways - it sucks. I passed several cops in wide open space on a flat patch of interstate and I would get a KA notification maybe 100ft before passing them. So I figured police radar is now so good that radar detectors are not as useful as they were or cobra sucks. From reading this forum - I see now cobra just sucks!!!

I was thinking of returning it to radio shack and upgrading to a Bel 955 (or whatever the $175 model was).

Do you think I will see a noticeable difference?
    I can tell you right now that since the Cobra was giving you only about 100 feet of warning that the Ka radar guns being used are on the Ka 35.5 frequency. Many Cobra models are all but dead for detecting this second most common Ka band radar frequency. By the way Ka 34.7 is the most widely used Ka frequency and Ka 33.8 is the least used Ka frequency.

I would return the Cobra so fast to the Radio Shack that there would be tread marks where I skidded my car to a stop in the parking space in front of their door.

The best "bang for the buck" radar detectors currently available are the Bel V940 or V955 models, and the Whistler Pro78. These models will show a dramatic (as in huge, amazing, smoking, will make you mess your pants!!!) performance difference in responding to your local Ka 35.5 radar threats.

So, pick your poison and remember that even a good radar detector is no guarantee against a speeding ticket. Learn to use it wisely and learn to always follow a rabbit.

Thanks for the advice I ordered a Bel 955 from radarbusters yesterday - should be here tomorrow.

Radio Shack will be getting this cobra back today!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by toomscj7
    Thanks for the advice I ordered a Bel 955 from radarbusters yesterday - should be here tomorrow.

Radio Shack will be getting this cobra back today!
    Best decision you could make...enjoy your new toy!