Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K Band Freq. Q

Power User

Default K Band Freq. Q

Tonight I was driving and noticed a K band alert on my Bel tech display reading 24.129. I have never seen a Freq. that low that was a legit radar, since I saw the cop up the road.

I know that the Bels are plus or minus 30mhz, but was his gun out of tune to be that low? I have a older 960 with tech display, but are my 2 units off that much or was it a freak thing and the cops gun was off?

Advanced Member

Any K-Band gun that is between 24.050 and 24.250 is considered "in tune", so that should be considered pretty normal, even if you aren't all that used to seeing it.

Power User

Default .

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Any K-Band gun that is between 24.050 and 24.250 is considered "in tune", so that should be considered pretty normal, even if you aren't all that used to seeing it.
    Jim, do you think the tech display between my 2 units are off that much or was it the gun?

Power User

Default Re: .

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic
    Jim, do you think the tech display between my 2 units are off that much or was it the gun?
    Your missing the point.

It is normal. Police radar operates anywhere in that range +/- 150.

The police radar is not out of tune.

Never think that you can determine a false by freq. Thats is not what tech mode is suppose to be for.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Your missing the point.

Never think that you can determine a false by freq. Thats is not what tech mode is suppose to be for.
    I understand, but I wanted to make sure the tech display is consistant, because it helps to determine real threats.

Street Lawyer

Your missing the point.

I understand, but I wanted to make sure the tech display is consistant, because it helps to determine real threats.
    Different guns are going to give you different frequencies +/- 150mhz.

Power User

Your missing the point.

Never think that you can determine a false by freq. Thats is NOT what tech mode is suppose to be for.

Your asking for trouble if you do. The freq display is not a reliable spectrum analyzer by any sorts. Its intent is ONLY for distinguishing Ka band equipment into there different groups. Its more of a "fun" feature. Thats all.

Power User

Never think that you can determine a false by freq. Thats is NOT what tech mode is suppose to be for.

Your asking for trouble if you do. The freq display is not a reliable spectrum analyzer by any sorts. Its intent is ONLY for distinguishing Ka band equipment into there different groups. Its more of a "fun" feature. Thats all.
    x2

Yoda of Radar

The only time I think spec mode is useful for distinguishing falses from LEOs for K band is when, say for instance, I get 24.098 +/- 0.003 everyday in this particular spot, yet today the frequency is 24.153. I would surely be on the lookout for a LEO, since I now have a signal that is not usual for this particular spot. But to assume your 24.129 is probably a false alert based on frequency alone is an extremely bad idea!

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80
    The only time I think spec mode is useful for distinguishing falses from LEOs for K band is when, say for instance, I get 24.098 +/- 0.003 everyday in this particular spot, yet today the frequency is 24.153. I would surely be on the lookout for a LEO, since I now have a signal that is not usual for this particular spot. But to assume your 24.129 is probably a false alert based on frequency alone is an extremely bad idea!
    I would say 80% of the time I have used Tech display and can determine a false, there is the 20% of the time like the 24.129 that turned out to be real. My overall success with it makes me think it is a tool beyond just knowing if it is an X K or Ka etc.

I can say for K band, real threats are typically 24.150, 24.158, 24.166, 24.176 and rarley 24.182. The 24.129 was extremly rare. I wanted to see if the 2 detectors I have are consistant on Tech Display. I was not referring just the radar guns signal just being lower than expected.

Look at it this way, you have a Sti and say 8500 both with Spec display on you run down the street you get a real threat, do they both read the same freq?

Just as a test I know some here run 2 detectors at the same time. Can some of you run both in spec display and see if the signal matches?