Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEWBIE HELP

Newcomer

Default NEWBIE HELP

im new to the forum here. This is my situation. i have a birthday comming up and a friend is gonna buy me a radar detector. she is looking to spend roughly 120 dollars give or take. i looked on the stickies and saw reviews for mostly higher prced detectors. SOOOO can someone direct me in the direction of a good product in my price range i pretty much do suburban driving. wiht occasional highway

thanks all

Brian

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: NEWBIE HELP

Quote Originally Posted by bpmcl00
    im new to the forum here. This is my situation. i have a birthday comming up and a friend is gonna buy me a radar detector. she is looking to spend roughly 120 dollars give or take. i looked on the stickies and saw reviews for mostly higher prced detectors. SOOOO can someone direct me in the direction of a good product in my price range i pretty much do suburban driving. wiht occasional highway

thanks all

Brian
    Whistler Pro 78 Rev C on that "auction site" is $130

Best bang for your buck, trust me.

Old Timer

also bel vector 940

Power User

The two given units (the Bel 940 and Whistler XTR-690 or PRO-78) are within your price range and are the *ONLY* units anywhere near your price range that performs satisfactorily.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    The two given units (the Bel 940 and Whistler XTR-690 or PRO-78) are within your price range and are the *ONLY* units anywhere near your price range that performs satisfactorily.
    okay thanks for all the help guys. so i pretty much need to choose between one of theese 3 correct? i know there was a post above that mention pro 78 rev "c"... what exactly does this mean

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by bpmcl00
    okay thanks for all the help guys. so i pretty much need to choose between one of theese 3 correct? i know there was a post above that mention pro 78 rev "c"... what exactly does this mean
    Rev "C" is a firmware update to the Pro-78 and XTR-690 released a few months ago that increases sensitivity and filtering abilities of these detectors, as well as correcting some minor user interface annoyances first-adopters reported. Most stores are shipping Revision C by default these days and you can always send it in to Whistler to get that flashed for a very reasonable rate. Whistler's customer service is the absolute best in this industry.

Newcomer

got ya. well ill deff look into one of these. thanks for all the help bros

Yoda of Radar

Also know that the Bel V940 does not allow the user to turn X band off. If X band is not used in your area, I would suggest not getting the V940 and stepping slightly up to the V955 as this will allow you to turn off X band and greatly reduce the amounts of false alerts that you receive. The Whistler Pro78 also allows the user to turn off X band. I'm not sure on the Whistler XTR-690, but I believe so. If you decide on one of the two Whistlers, make sure that it is Rev C. There is a dramatic difference in detection range between Rev A or B and Rev C.

Power User

Both the XTR-690 and Pro-78 have full selectable band defeat for X, K, Ka, Laser, SWS and POP, configurable filtering aggressiveness and city modes for temporarily reducing or disabling X-band on-the-go.

Yoda of Radar

Both the XTR-690 and Pro-78 have full selectable band defeat for X, K, Ka, Laser, SWS and POP, configurable filtering aggressiveness and city modes for temporarily reducing or disabling X-band on-the-go.
    Thank you kind sir.