Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Radar Fanatic

Default effective radar range

I see all the different detection #'s that all the test have for each different rd, but my question is what range is most radar shot at toward a specific vehicle. I guess what i'm wanting to know is what do most consider acceptable detection range for a rd. I know you can pick up a signal for miles but what is a safe range before the Leo could actually get a good lock on you. I know there are variables such as if you are alone on the road or in a pack of cars, but all that aside what would most consider a safe detection distance to slow down at 10-15 over psl.

Yoda of Radar

Way too many variables to give a 'safe' range...

Terrain
    Weather
    Traffic
    Car you are in etc etc etc.

Basically there is no given 'safe range' as far as distance. You can't just give out a 'blanket number'. Since a radar guns speed acquisition ability depends on so many factors (including the aforementioned)... the definition of an effective alert will also change.

So since every single encounter is different, the given 'acceptable alert' range will also change.

As long as I have time to slow down to the PSL the RD did its job.

In some cases (with hills and curves and heavy traffic) .4miles is considered a save and acceptable, in others I am upset if I don't get a mile or more... but again its all in if I have time to slow down.

There is a chart somewhere on here that lists the radar guns speed acquisition distances compared to the type of vehicle you are driving. In a large SUV in optimal conditions for the radar gun... a mile or more away it is possible it could have your speed (lets say ~1.25Miles). With a low-profile Vette on the other hand, it may be substantially less of a distance, a lot of it has to do with cross-sectional area for the radar to reflect off of. (Note that the chart is older, but still gives a good point of reference.)

Given optimal conditions though ANY of the high-end RD's (and most lower-end ones for that matter) will alert you well before any LEO's radar gun could get your speed using constant-on... in an old test (~2005) the high-end RD's (X50, V1, RX-65 etc) all were picking up LEO's radar guns at 10+Miles.

Radar Fanatic

I'd say 10+ miles is enough time to slow down.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    Way too many variables to give a 'safe' range...

Terrain
    Weather
    Traffic
    Car you are in etc etc etc.

Basically there is no given 'safe range' as far as distance. You can't just give out a 'blanket number'. Since a radar guns speed acquisition ability depends on so many factors (including the aforementioned)... the definition of an effective alert will also change.

So since every single encounter is different, the given 'acceptable alert' range will also change.

As long as I have time to slow down to the PSL the RD did its job.

In some cases (with hills and curves and heavy traffic) .4miles is considered a save and acceptable, in others I am upset if I don't get a mile or more... but again its all in if I have time to slow down.

There is a chart somewhere on here that lists the radar guns speed acquisition distances compared to the type of vehicle you are driving. In a large SUV in optimal conditions for the radar gun... a mile or more away it is possible it could have your speed (lets say ~1.25Miles). With a low-profile Vette on the other hand, it may be substantially less of a distance, a lot of it has to do with cross-sectional area for the radar to reflect off of. (Note that the chart is older, but still gives a good point of reference.)

Given optimal conditions though ANY of the high-end RD's (and most lower-end ones for that matter) will alert you well before any LEO's radar gun could get your speed using constant-on... in an old test (~2005) the high-end RD's (X50, V1, RX-65 etc) all were picking up LEO's radar guns at 10+Miles.
    That helps alot. I appreciate the answere.

Advanced Member

I agree with AirMoore 100%. And here's a quote of an old post with the chart he is thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    For radar, the maximum possible target range will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on the radar cross section. For example, here's a Car & Driver test from way back in 1979(!). They used a Kustom KR-11, results are in feet.

But of course, different models etc will have different maximum ranges against the same vehicle.

Here's a more recent study against some current guns. The target vehicle for the Stationary-Mode Maximum Range test was a Special Service Package Ford Expedition. This vehicle was otherwise used as the radar vehicle. For the Moving-Mode Maximum Range and Same Direction Maximum Range tests a Nissan Maxima was used as the target. All guns were Ka band except the Genesis II Directional which was K-Band.

Just to rant a little: When people post about getting miles of range from a detector, I'm really not impressed. ANY modern detector is sensitive enough to save you from classic constant-on speed traps with the radar aimed at you, and is capable of alerting to the radar at several times the distance at which an officer can acquire your speed.

The saves that impress me are when someone get a one-bar Ka blip from instant-on ahead etc and slows down avoiding a ticket, while another less sensitive detector would have given no warning.

Banned

I would say if you have at least 5 seconds before its possible to see the LEO is a good way to look at it.
    If you can’t see him, and if he cant see you, nether can his radar, so your pretty safe with 4-5 seconds to slow down. it may be 4 miles it may be 1/4 mile but 5 seconds before he can even see you is really fine.

Radar Fanatic

I was just wondering because I seen on the GOL sight that most of the better models where only detecting between 700- 1100 ft,even the V1 was around I think 1000-1200 ft. That far less that what the chart states that all radar guns could aquire a speed. Some of the Ka detections where like 700-900 ft. THat does not seem like much time to react.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy2288
    I was just wondering because I seen on the GOL sight that most of the better models where only detecting between 700- 1100 ft,even the V1 was around I think 1000-1200 ft. That far less that what the chart states that all radar guns could aquire a speed. Some of the Ka detections where like 700-900 ft. THat does not seem like much time to react.
    Its the radar reducing foam they use. Its magical powers make the V1 win all the time.
    If they didn’t reduce the range with the foam they would need a 10 mile road.

Radar Fanatic

OK...Thats makes sense. So those numbers are actually less than normal detection because of the foam.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by mhardy2288
    OK...Thats makes sense. So those numbers are actually less than normal detection because of the foam.
    By a large margin.