Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default remote radar detector in canada

I am aware that RD are illegal in Canada and can be taken from you, but what if a Canadian LEO finds a remote unit (not in use), such as the passport SRX?

what then?

Radar Fanatic

RDs are NOT illegal in Canada as Canada is a Federation and the Federal Gov has no jurisdiction over the RD issue... RD laws are provincial responsibility and they are different from province to province, for instance RDs are legal in BC, AB and SK and illegal in the rest of Canada... you did not say where do you live, which province, but for Ontario ALL speed measurement warning devices are ILLEGAL in ALL motor vehicles, that dash mounted and the remote ones like the ones mounted in the front grill, no idea about the RD laws in other illegal areas...

Advanced Member

Ever hear of wire cutters ............ snip snip. But if you never turn it on the odds of ever being caught with it are pretyy slim since the RD needs to be on for it to be detected

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf
    Ever hear of wire cutters ............ snip snip. But if you never turn it on the odds of ever being caught with it are pretyy slim since the RD needs to be on for it to be detected
    Unless you get pulled over and it is seen, but this should be easy to solve (ie put it in the ashtray or something)

Typically I would imagine you would face the fine + have it removed. For a regular portable unit, if you had it in the trunk, then you would not be charged (and you'd keep the unit), since it is "clear" you weren't using it. But for remote-mount, unless it is broken or somehow "deaded" (remove fuse?) you are probably on the hook.

Radar Fanatic

i read this story on a forum linked from this site about it. to bad I can't find the info. apparently this guy was driving a vehical with an rx75 and got IO from an officer. The officer then asked him for his RD, found it was installed in the car and then had him cut it out. Also, they towed his vehicle and gave him a big fine. Then he took a taxi home in the US from canada which cost him big $$ as well. He ended up loosing thousands of $$ usd.

If it is illegal were you are at then use an sti and keep it well hidden.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bunny
    i read this story on a forum linked from this site about it. to bad I can't find the info. apparently this guy was driving a vehical with an rx75 and got IO from an officer. The officer then asked him for his RD, found it was installed in the car and then had him cut it out. Also, they towed his vehicle and gave him a big fine. Then he took a taxi home in the US from canada which cost him big $$ as well. He ended up loosing thousands of $$ usd.

If it is illegal were you are at then use an sti and keep it well hidden.
    I think you are mixing stories. This person was doing 50k over the psl which earned him the 1 week confiscation of the vehicle not the rd ownership that was just a bonus screw

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf
    Unless you get pulled over and it is seen, but this should be easy to solve (ie put it in the ashtray or something)

Typically I would imagine you would face the fine + have it removed. For a regular portable unit, if you had it in the trunk, then you would not be charged (and you'd keep the unit), since it is "clear" you weren't using it. But for remote-mount, unless it is broken or somehow "deaded" (remove fuse?) you are probably on the hook.
    Or the lights and speaker ... then it would no longer fit the legal description of a speed warning device.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    if you had it in the trunk, then you would not be charged (and you'd keep the unit), since it is "clear" you weren't using it.
    Technically that's not true, the HTA states the RD cannot be in the vehicle, operating or not, period dot.

Unless it is in a sealed package.

However, the nice OPP that pulled me over 4 years ago with his Spectre did say to me he would not hassle a motorist had the detector been found in the trunk where it is clealry not being used, however this is clearly up to his discretion, and not how the HTA is written.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by kl
    Technically that's not true, the HTA states the RD cannot be in the vehicle, operating or not, period dot.

Unless it is in a sealed package.

However, the nice OPP that pulled me over 4 years ago with his Spectre did say to me he would not hassle a motorist had the detector been found in the trunk where it is clealry not being used, however this is clearly up to his discretion, and not how the HTA is written.
    But there is no reason for any car search (to find your RD stored in the trunk) unless they have some info that the car is stolen or expired plates or the plates take them to an arrest warrant or parole violation, something like this, so something major, way more important than a minor violation like speeding or RLC... you don't even have to store it in the trunk, anywhere in the car if you really don't use it, nobody is gonna stop you just to search the car w/out a major reason like the ones above...

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RW'07
    you don't even have to store it in the trunk, anywhere in the car if you really don't use it, nobody is gonna stop you just to search the car w/out a major reason like the ones above...
    Feel free to test this out, although I read elsewhere you've hardwired your STi so it's much less risk to you, but not for someone who hasn't hardwired with a stealth installation.

All it takes is a regular traffic stop for the cop to look inside the car, if a driver had just tossed the RD on the floor and the cop happens to see it, then it's game over.

If the driver hides the RD under his/her butt, and the copy happens to ask the driver to step out of the car to sit in the cruiser, then it's game over again. (that nearly happened to me from being pulled over by a regional cop, fortunately he did not ask me to get out of the car).

The point is that the police are trained to be observant, they CAN effect arrest or seizure of other offense or contrabands if they notice the violation from even an unrelated traffic stop, you must have read all kinds of reports of narcotics, weapons, opened liquer etc. related arrests reported often in the media from simple traffic stops, RD possession is no different, it's just much less juicy and the media wouldn't bother reporting it, even though the cops would love to prove that they are smarter than the RD users on the roads.