Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Foot

Default 10 reasons to get a Whistler Pro 78 rev.C over a Bel 940/955

And no, I do not work for Whistlergroup! I just appreciate their hard work and effort.

The following is in no particular order:

1. Whistler pro78 costs less but yet you get a 3 year warranty. Bel Gives just 1 year
    2. Within a year of owning a Bel product, you are guaranteed to get a "Self Cal" message or "Service Required". Bel WILL charge you to fix it.
    3. The Pro78 comes with a cool Blue LED display as standard equipment. Belscort charges you anywhere between $40-$50 for that upgrade (RX65 or 9500i)
    4. The customer service of Whistler is second to none. Mike B is a true Champ. Bel's customer service doesn't even come close. (Mike B for president in 2012)
    5. The performance of the pro78 is identical to the vector, rx65 and 8500 x50. I'm not taking anything away from the GOL testing but I've personally tested these units and can't see a real difference. There are times when the pro78 alerts first and there are times the vectors alert first. They are never more than a second apart from each other.
    6. The Whistler Pro78 is way quieter than the Vectors even with the M4 design. When the Pro78 speaks, you better listen! It also has better filtering.
    7. The pro78 speaker is much louder and better than the Bel speaker. If you leave your Bel product in the sun, the speaker will eventually fail then Belscort will charge you for a new one.
    8. The Pro78 has tons more user selectable features compared to the Vectors.
    9. If you ever have a problem with your Pro78, Mike B will PM you within minutes!
    10. Spectre/Stalcar detects the Pro78 from about 200 feet in which by that time, you can actually see the Leo and unplug your unit. The vectors can be seen over 1500 feet.

If you want to add anything else, please feel free to.

Radar Fanatic

Not bad for, what, a sub-$250 detector?

Professional

Yeah I would also recommend the pro 78 for anyone who wants to spend less than 250.

Good Citizen

I can see where this thread is going.

Founder of Stealthvation

I will tell you that the Vector series is more sensitive on K band and X band.
    RIP Duncan my BELOVED black lab son 8/7/99-3/23/11. I will miss you DEARLY.

http://www.criminalcustomzshop.com/

LET THE BIRTH OF MANY TESTING GROUPS HAPPEN!

You want to know what it is like doing something for the love and passion and not for the mighty dollar then look up GOL!

buyradardetectors rocks!

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: 10 reasons to get a Whistler Pro 78 rev.C over a Bel 940

Quote Originally Posted by rose1
    5. The performance of the pro78 is identical to the vector, rx65 and 8500 x50. I'm not taking anything away from the GOL testing but I've personally tested these units and can't see a real difference. There are times when the pro78 alerts first and there are times the vectors alert first. They are never more than a second apart from each other.
    Every single video I've seen online of the pro78 has had ok detection but not close to good. I drive with an rx65 and my average detection range is almost always better than all of the videos I've seen online. The best I've seen a pro78 do on videos is 1 mile detection were on my RD i've gotten multiple miles of detection.

Also, mine hasn't had a self cal message and I've owned my RD since jul 06. So much for 'it WILL get a self cal message'.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by happya$$
    I will tell you that the Vector series is more sensitive on K band and X band.
    Well Happyass, it depends on how you define sensitive. Do you mean sensitive on radar that is not being pointed at you ie door openers or more sensitive to actual police radar?

Lead Foot

Default Re: 10 reasons to get a Whistler Pro 78 rev.C over a Bel 940

Quote Originally Posted by bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by rose1

Also, mine hasn't had a self cal message and I've owned my RD since jul 06. So much for 'it WILL get a self cal message'.
    Well consider yourself lucky.

Lead Foot

How do they compare regarding laser ie in stealth mode or other tough ones to pick up? I know it will not save me, but I like to know what is going on. Thanx

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by CincinnatiKid
    How do they compare regarding laser ie in stealth mode or other tough ones to pick up? I know it will not save me, but I like to know what is going on. Thanx
    From what I've heard, the only radar detector on the market that's even worth mentioning for laser detection is the V1. I'm not really sure which one has better detection between the Vector and the Pro78