Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default Do ya leave your detectors up.

I live in Texas and wondering if yall leave your RDs up in the heat? It gets around 100* in summer time. So my car is hotter than that.

Default Re: Do ya leave your detectors up.

Quote Originally Posted by hookem202
    I live in Texas and wondering if yall leave your RDs up in the heat? It gets around 100* in summer time. So my car is hotter than that.
    Personally, I do not. I'm not only concerned about heat but theft as well. I have the hard-sided case for my V1 and I put the detector in there and then stash it in the center arm-rest console in my car. It's kind of a pain to take it down and put it back up, but better than letting it cook or be stolen, IMO.

Good Citizen

I believe you meant to say you all, but I'll let it slide :wink: I personally don't take my detector down at all. But I probably would if my car reached temperatures like yours does.

Speed Demon

If it gets around 100 ill take it down each time. Its not even hot like this here and i never leave it there, i take it down, put it in the carying case and under the seat. Direct sun is not real good on electronics.

Speed Demon

On hot days I take my detector down but on cold days I leave it up. When I drive back home I always take it down when I,am done driving.

Speed Demon

I think the heat is what caused my x50 blue to go into self cal mode and then service required. I normally do not leave it out, but I left my truck parked for 2 days with my x50 on the windshield in the dead of summer and it was hardwired and left on and it went into shutdown.

Newcomer

I've left my V1 out in the Arizona sun for years. Never had any problem.

Radar Fanatic

i think the heat affects rd's with auto calibration chips.

Professional

I leave mine in the car and mounted above the rearview all the time...unless I'm in like Detroit or Orlando or some crap.

Power User

Mine is mounted high, besides the rear view mirror (passanger side), the factory tint on the windshield is above the line of sight of the RD antenna, the factory tint strip blocks out the heat of the sun's rays here in Soouth Florida, I really do not have any worries, I may get in the hot car but if I touch the RD (its a Bel 985) it is NOT warm, funny thing is that light still shines down upon it, the sun light is cut out substantialy, looking from the outside, you can not see the RD, I have the power wire hidden very well, very professional and out of envyous eyes.

As far as detection goes, it performs extremely well, allways alerts, instant on, far away, curves, hills (the artifical man made ones at least here in S Florida), and just recent experience, PROLASER, both far away (the pack of cars ahead of me targeted) and as I rolled up close by my lonesome.

Last note, at first I had it on my dashboard, and did put it away, what a pain, but just daily driving I woould find that thing baking (very very warm to the touch out in direct sun light).

People that ride with me are really envious at how well a radar detect really works (as long as you understand how to use one)... they never seen how well a TOP ranked radar works (rare falses), now understand what a joke the cherper RD are, good god that Rocky Mountain Radar Detector, thats a POS.